ask for some help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stuhl, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Stuhl

Stuhl Junior Member

I joined a team to build a concrete canoe, but my major is material and don't know much about design ,so I need some help
    if anybody can tell me which software is better for me to use ,not too complex ,because I have to learn it in a month
    thank you ~~~

2. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Freeship, it is free and easy,,,

3. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

But I hope you are concerned about the fact that , learning boat design does not mean- learning a boat design software only. If you really mean "design" instead of "drawing" or "drafting" then you have to go through many theoretical study too,

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

You can try with Freeship, it is freeware and pretty easy to use and has incorporated all the stability and power prediction tools you need for a canoe.
    http://freeship-plus.land.ru/downloadsE.html
    you should first download and install the 3.1+ full version, and then the last update (3.15+)
    Good luck! :)

P.S.
    Pavel was faster than me... :)

5. Stuhl

Stuhl Junior Member

I learn the software is just to help others to drawing ,I have to admit that I really know little about design
    perhelps I should listen to your suggest and try to learn some theory ,maybe it will help me to use the tool better.thank you for your help
    and hope you can understand my poor english

6. Stuhl

Stuhl Junior Member

I don't know why I can't link to the web you just gived,maybe I have to search for it somewhere else ,still thanks for your help!:p

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

8. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

If you are new in design, you should first go through "hydrostatics", "stability","Resistance" etc. Anyone of the "team" who are designing the boat should have this theoretical knowledge.

For the basic understanding of the above topics you can read "Basic Ship Theory" Voule 1 and Volume 2 , this books are very good for introduction to the theoretical knowledge of ship/boat design,

9. yipster

yipster designer

nothing wrong with joining a team, a canoe, freeship or making a design
    first thing in my mind however was what theory you and your team are trying out
    a canoe better be build from wood or plastic, alu or steel would allready be odd, but concrete is ridicules
    concrete is used for bigger displacement or houseboats, not for canoes if you see my drift

10. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

concrete canoes are a common design challenge/competition, usually for college/university level students, although ive heard of some older and younger groups competing. The point of the challenge is to overcome exactly what you're alluding to- the fact that concrete isn't typically used in this way.

all i can add is if your concrete canoe cracks on the way to the event, duct tape should hold long enough to compete, but not long enough to bring it home in one piece. (had a friend that competed in undergrad)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  11. yipster

yipster designer

i see, did not know that and point at important concrete iron web than..
    ( and can think of other more apropriate design challenges for concrete )

12. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Yah, like a submarine!!!!!!

Just kidding... ha, ha, ha...

-Tom

13. Petros

Petros Senior Member

IF this is a collage engineering exercise or contest I would not get too elaborate on the actual hull shape. My own school participated in a similar project 30 years ago. I have since built over 12 kayaks and canoes and learned about hull design.

The most important design element is that your final hull weight and your crew weight is below the displacement capacity of your design. Make it as light as possible (very thin skin with wire mesh reinforcement), and your design will be fastest. Our school's entry was way too heavy, the hull failed under its own weight and never made it to the water. The lightest boat will be fastest.

Canoe and kayak shapes in general have less drag than most other shapes because of their fineness ratio (length to width). A round bottom will have less surface area but will not be stable, so make it with a fairly flat bottom. Find a canoe about the size you want and just copy the hull lines. Since even a thin walled canoe of concrete will weight a lot, you must make sure you have enough free-board to float the weight of the canoe and crew without taking on water over the sides. That is your most important design consideration.

Make it long and slim, make it as light as possible (thin walled yet still water tight), and make it so it can float itself and crew, and you will have the best one.

Good luck.

14. Stuhl

Stuhl Junior Member

Is 'Basic Ship Theory' the book writen in english? it's a little difficult for me now , or i can find some books in similar
    oh~~it's much more complex than i expected,also more interesting

15. Stuhl

Stuhl Junior Member

we may use some glass fibre or something else

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.