s.w.a.t.h. kiteboat - is this possible?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by captiankeyboard, Jul 17, 2008.

1. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

Ok, if I'm wrong, show me a kite boat or board tacking through 80 degrees, and I'll believe it. I've seen kite boards sailing at maybe 70 degrees true wind angle, or tack through about 140. Not really upwind.

Show me, and I'll believe it.

2. Munter

Munter Amateur

Well there's certainly no issue with close reaching with a kiteboard which I think demonstrates that a kite is capable of sailing upwind regardless of whether its been done yet on a boat.

The angles might not be the same as a racing yacht but they can certainly get upwind. The way I interpret your comment it seems you are suggesting that kites are not even capable of close reaching which I believe is incorrect. Some GPS track plots would help determine the angles. I'll have a dig around for some.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.