Rusty Keel Bolts

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by gdshea, Aug 9, 2004.

1. gdshea

gdshea New Member

I have badly rusted keel bolts and nuts on my Coronado 27 shoal draft (same as Columbia 26). Anybody have any experience repairing these?
    Must I drop the keel and drill and embed new bolts, or is there a simpler way?
    Worried sailor in Virginia.
    Gdshea2wm.edu

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Are the bolts badly corroded? did you measure the diametre? or are the nuts and the part of the bolt above it what makes you worry.
    When you have determined the above, this is what you can do:
    1- bolts are badly corroded, you'll have to replace them, as mentioned byyourself.
    2- bolts are a bit corroded (smaller diametre), do a calculation on what the diametre should be as a minimum.
    3- is it just the nuts, replace them, don't damage the thread.

Good luck.

Peter

3. Glenn

Glenn Guest

I gather the old bolts must be drilled out and new bolts seated in the keel, which I believe is steel encased in fibreglass.

4. Dutch Peter

Glenn,

If the keel is of steel, you might be lucky, the bolts might be threaded in the keel and can be replaced by yourselfs.
    If the keel is lead, the bolts are probably encastered and a yard should take care of it (although it can be done by amateurs!).
    I wish you good luck!

Regards, Peter

5. Glenn shean

Glenn shean Guest

Thanks Peter, fort the advice.
    I fear that alternative 1 is the most descriptive, the bolts and nuts are badly corroded. I wondered about the possibility of drilling new holes into the keel while attached, thru the hull bottom but gather that is not such a clever idea.
    Glenn

6. Dutch Peter

Glenn,

No, I don't thinck that's a good idea. But taking of the keel of your boat is not such a big deal. It's better to take it off, as fitting it back wil give you a proper sealing between hull and keel.
    Just think things over, how to remove it and how to fit it. What happens in the middle of that, depends on what you find.
    BTW is it a polyester or wooden boat we're talking about?
    Take a look at "Frame, stem & keel repairs" - P.H. Spectre, from Woodenboat. This might be helpfull.

Regards,

Peter

7. Glenn

Glenn Guest

Peter,
    I can find lots of references to Spectre, P.H. in the Woodenboat index page, but nothing that reads "Frame, stem and keel repairs." Do you have anymore information on this reference.
    My boat is fibreglass but I am sure I would benefit from the article.
    Glenn

8. Dutch Peter

9. Glenn

Glenn Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.