Rustoleum is selling Never Wet hydrophobic coating!

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Red Dwarf, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

2. YotaTruck

YotaTruck Junior Member

Maybe this is a stupid question but could a coating like that lessen the drag on a hull a bit? Or would it be such a small difference that it would be pointless?

3. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

there are threads on the topic - search hydrophobic

unlikely to reduce friction, marine growth probably. The environmental/health risks are somewhat unknown with these nano things.

Looks cool though.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Early studies show that nano pigments are so small, that the body reacts to them as a virus. This may be something that will probable create huge health hazards in the future when sanding, scraping, etc. starts being done for maintenance.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Never thought of that side of nanotechnologies... Interesting.

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Ive been using nano particles...Silicium Si14 products..... on the bottom of yacht rib tenders to discourage fouling...works OK.

The American company Permanon sells liquid Si14 concentrate. One liter will last a long time. The main use is aircraft surface protection

http://www.permanonusa.com/Permanon_101/What_Is_Silicium.html

7. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

I dont know of any solid testing but I have seen comments that say the coating may slightly hurt speed. The coating prohibits any chance of laminar flow.

In another thread I posted a link to testing that shows the coating prohibits biogrowth.

The Home Depot gets stock in late July. I will buy some and do some testing.

I wonder howdurable the coating will be in real use? Who cares if it stops growth but only lasts a short time.

8. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Well perhaps some people will be more sensitive as is the case with so many chemicals.
    If the body treats as a virus, then you will develop defensive antibodies, so maybe cold like symptoms, then never sick from it again.

9. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Pretty cool really, and will go on any surface.
    It must by its nature prevent marine growth from sticking you would think so?

If it prevents the slime layer, then the barnacle is less likely to think the surface is a surface. The barnacle will think it is the surface of the water-air interface.

What is the cost going to be?

It will be very easy to test, just paint a board and place in the water. And then see if anything grows or sticks or lets say sticks but brushes right off, that is good enough to use as bottom paint.

10. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I don't see how the body could make an antibody for an inert substance. If it could, then asbestos wouldn't cause cancer. Or smoking. The thing with nano particles, they are so small they can penetrate cell walls, just like asbestos, so they can possibly throw a wrench into the machinery of the cell, possibly resulting in aberrations or mutations which cause cancer.

12. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

http://nanomag.ucsd.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MRI-contrast-particles.pdf

I thought that the body can make antibodies to anything it identifies as foreign in nature?
    Some things maybe inert like when they put metal into a person. Dont know if there is a reaction to metal then, but nothing happens?

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I think what they're saying is antibodies and all the others can be attached to nano particles as a vehicle to attack diseases etc in the body.

I don't think antibodies work on metals, just on an infection or bacteria that might come with it. If they did, I guess you could become immune to being shot or stabbed. That might be handy.

14. jonr

jonr Senior Member

It will be interesting to see more details on NeverWet. Is is food safe? How well does it resist abrasion, water, soap, heat? What does it stick too? Can a thin film be left on clear glass or plastic?

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sam Sam: Asbestos does not enter the blood stream and the particles are huge compared to a virus. The nano particles of the pigments are about the same size as a virus. The body reacts as with any virus. However, antibodies will not kill a pigment like they do a virus. Our bodies have no way of distinguishing an inert particle from a virus, which is almost a crystal. Sdowney 717 is correct is that the symptoms are flu-like. There hasn't been any extensive clinical study yet.