epoxy tar paint

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Lampy08, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Lampy08

Lampy08 Junior Member

I am thinking about painting the bottom of the riveted aluminium boat that I got info about on another thread, after I fix the rivets. I have some epoxy left over from another project, and some synthetic tar, any one know the recipe for epoxy tar paint?

Dennis

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You can buy coal tar epoxy from Rustoleum. They should be available on your area, if not buy from the net.

Daniel

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

No, you can't just add tar to paint and have coal tar paint.

Coal tar was used because it was easy to get, cheap, is a natural wood preserver and considerable latitude with molecular reorientation. With the advent of more refined chemistry, tar became necessary and less desirable, for several reasons. Compared to other coatings, coal tar paints are generally the red headed step children to modern paint products, in regard to durability, gloss retention, toughness, abrasion resistance, over coating, the ability to stay stuck, etc.

4. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Go to Home Depot and get a can of Alum Roof Flashing Sealant

It will seal all the leaky rivits and seams and last for years.

Its Made by Henry but its Not the Same Henry as the Famous Henry Lever Action Rifle, I dont think??

[​IMG]

Anyway, The Henry Rifle is the Best and that Henry Roof sealant works pretty good also.

[​IMG]

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Like most coating formulators, Henry makes a number of roof repair and coating products. It's important you understand which one you need for your application.

555 is a middle of the road, aluminum oxide saturated, solvent based roof coating with 'glass fibers in it. It's not well suited for a smooth finish and a gallon doesn't cover much, maybe 50 square feet which is a bit over a sheet of plywood worth. It'll not wear very well on an aluminum boat bottom, it will not be smooth and it'll leave aluminum colored marks all over everything it touches. This stuff is designed as a reflective coating, but can't do much else.

A better choice would be Henry 869, which is a rubberized, reflective roof coating. It also has fiber in it so it's not going to be especially smooth when applied. Both 555 and 869 work best with one of their primers too.

In general there are a few different types of these products. Asphalt, rubber, petroleum, polyurethane, epoxy and acrylic. For your application you'd be much better off with an epoxy base or a polyurethane. These will stick better then the other and be more durable.

6. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

PAR.

He istaking about an old pop rivited Alum boat , Not the Queen Mary.

Sticky Gooy Lumps are just the ticket at under $5 per can of this stuff.

And who cares if it leaves a touch of Silver on everything it touches. Also does double duty as an antifowling for waterfowling. No need to ever take the tin boat out of the swamp

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.