Starting Current and Cable Gauge

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by CarbonFootprint, Apr 2, 2016.

1. CarbonFootprint

CarbonFootprint Ill-Advised Boat Modifier

Hello,

I'm currently plumbing in a Johnson v4 115hp 2-stroke outboard and need to replace the starter cables.

At present, they're about 9mm/(approx 11/32") diameter including the insulation - the conductors are about 7mm/(approx 9/32") diameter, so I reckon that makes them about AWG 1 and good for about 110A - does this sound likely?

The current cables are so old, the insulation has started breaking down, so they need replacing, but is the same again the best choice? I need quite a run of cable from the starter batteries to the motor, too - about 5m/16'6" once all the wiggles and bends are taken into account. Does anybody know what the typical starting current of this outboard is?

Thanks for any guidance :)

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The typical starting current is approx. 70 Amps: small starter motors are usually 700 Watts, 10 V arriving at the motor terminals.
    5m is very long for starter cables. If there is no alternative I would use a heavy cable from the battery to a junction box near the engine and a lighter one from there to the engine.

4. CarbonFootprint

CarbonFootprint Ill-Advised Boat Modifier

Hello both,

thanks very much for your advice.

Based on this calculator, I reckon AWG 3 would result in about a 0.5V drop at the starter at 70A, which sounds reasonable to me. I guess the battery voltage drops from 12V when the starter's connected, though - do you know what a typical cranking voltage would be?

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

what year is the engine?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.