Running rigging layout

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by howardm, Nov 13, 2011.

1. howardm

howardm Junior Member

Hi,
    I have my mast down on the patio waiting for a check-over and refit.
    Can anyone recommend or give me a link to diagrams/books showing the ideal layout for all the running rigging.
    The 27 ft yacht I have bought has a full set of sails including a spinnaker, but has never sailed, hence the system is unfinished.
    This is my first yacht and I want to get it right while the mast is down..

thx
    Howard

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The ideal layout is the one that fits your sailing style. For example, I hate lines running to the cockpit because I solo a lot. If a sail gets stuck it is impossible to work the lines and be at the mast, where the problem is, at the same time.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Yup. No way to predict the ideal running rigging setup. You should probably just copy the stock version of your boat (or the rigging plan in the plans if you bought an unfinished boat).

To really illustrate this, I like something different than gonzo and I single hand too:

I like my cockpit at the base of the mast and every single line running to it.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Deck layout compliments work to be done. Simple things like....

.... putting a reef in the main. The main halyard, the main tack down haul and the clew reef line should all be accessible to the same crew member putting in the reef.

From the helm the helmsman must be able to ease and trim the main.

From the Genoa winch the trimmer must be able to operate the roller reefing control line.

The spi pole topping lift , the spi pole downhaul and the spi afterguy must be operated simultaneously by the same crew.

Each boat has a different shape so every deck layout will have different details.

Its best to contemplate the work that must be done then lay the deck out in a way that best accomplishes it.

Be aware that if you consentrate control lines in a single location you will create a crew traffic jam and a big spaghetti mess . Concentrate on primary controls first...main and genoa.

5. howardm

howardm Junior Member

I see what you are saying guys,
    My single-handed experience is limited, but, have been in situations where I needed 6 hands.
    I will try the process of reefing etc... in my head, then work out what goes where.

Howard

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What yacht is this? Most can have a very basic setup preformed before launch, but as has been mentioned, most skippers have their own way of doing things, with no two identical boats being rigged alike, except on the show room floor.

Most production yachts have a "stock" layout, with pad eyes, tracks, travelers, etc. in predetermined locations. Use these locations initially, then go sailing on a light air day, so you're not stressed, nor the rig. Things will become obvious to you underway and you can note what you like and don't, for future upgrades and modifications.

Go down to the local marina and see how other folks arrange their rigs. The first thing you'll notice is everyone is slightly different, but eventually you see commonalities. If possible find other boat's like yours and check out how they handle the different portions of the rig. Also look on line for boat sales of your model, which should have some pictures showing you the basics, which may help get you started in the right direction. Lastly see if there's an "owner's group" available, which can also be handy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.