Adding small outriggers to semi-displacement V-hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by aviatorm35, Aug 1, 2008.

1. aviatorm35

aviatorm35 New Member

I have been pondering whether there is any value to adding small "outriggers" or pontoons to the aft of my 30' semi-displacement V-hull. My thoughts are:

1) This would make the boat get up on plane faster

2) Make the boat more stable and ride better in choppy waters?

3) Make the boat more fuel efficient?

4) Eliminate need for stern mounted Trim elevators?

Any thoughts from the Naval Engineering or Salty Dog crowd? Also, can you point me to anyone who has done this, sells outriggers or can design this application? If this is a dumb idea, feel free to "Say So".

***Originally posted in "Stability" forum w/ no response

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Can you post pictures of the hull and give us more details so we know more about it?

3. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Thanks for adding the pictures.

In my opinion you're wasting your time to consider outriggers on a boat like this. Do you have any pictures of the bottom of the boat? Is it a deep vee hull?

Edit: Never mind, I read your attached .doc file and that's exactly what it is -- a high-speed deep vee planing hull, not a semi-displacement hull as you described it in your first post. These hulls never feel stable or handle well at anything but planing speeds. If you want a good handling boat for speeds in the 10-20 mph range you'd be better off selling this one and getting a boat that's designed for semi-displacement speeds.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.