Rule automatic bilge pumps.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by hmattos, Nov 4, 2005.

1. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Explorer Marine build fast RIBs in Devon UK and we have used Rule pumps for several years. We have recently been finding that the RULE 25 S-6 pumps have a very high failure rate. Almost half the pumps we have fitted this year have failed. Most fail within three weeks after launching and fail to no function or fail to continuously running which flattens the battery.
    Do any of you - RULE pumps are made in the US - have any experience of these problems or any ideas for a more reliable automatic bilge pump for small open boats?

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I've had great luck with Rule pumps, they're all I use. Attwood pumps are the ones to avoid at all costs. Perhaps the particular model you're using is a bad design. I'd try a different model pump and see what happens. Sounds like the float is what's failing. Is it internal?

3. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Rule Bilge pumps

Thanks for that, but this model of Rule pump is entirely electronic with no float. The pump "cycles" every 2,5 minutes and tests by current flow whether there is water there. If there is it continues, if not it stops after about 2 seconds. These used to work very well, but recently the new three wire design has let us down badly.

Hugh Mattos
    Explorer Marine Devon UK

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I have old 3 wire units. Perfect. Looks like a bad batch from somewhere. Are you telling corporate how bad the units are? I always call corporate if I get 2 bad units in a row.

5. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Just to clarify the latest... Rule in the UK have stated that they had a problem with some electronic units in the Rule 25S- 6 pumps. they have offered to replace the old failed units.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

A lot of good companies are getting crap names as they have the Chinese build their products. Life goes on.

7. EngNate

EngNate USCG: DDE-1000

Yes, have seen regularly automatic models not shutting off. For the best float switch out there look for the Ultra Safety Switch, made in Fla.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.