Rudder question for propeller jetski... best guess please ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by avi8r, Jan 5, 2008.

1. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

What size area for jetski rudder?

Can I use a balanced rudder? (easier steering)

What shape and size would be best to start with?

550lb jetski 80plus mph

thank you for your time

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No you cant put a rudder directly in front of a surface prop. Nothing should disturb the clean water flow to such a drive. Not even a skin fitting for water intake is advised. It will have to go behind and a fair way behind. you may have to make a bracket. Theres plenty of pics on the internet of various drives that have bracketed rudders.

3. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

Rear mounted rudder while not impossible is something I am hoping to avoid. It would be easier for me to mount 2 small rudders on a bearing supported shafts on either side of the prop with back of rudders being about 1in behind the back of propeller.

I was thinking something like 2 of these
    http://www.boatzincs.com/MER34127A.html
    mounted on rear corners of ride plate with connection bar

First passes will ofcourse be slow to feel out handling and work from there... do you feel 2 rudder tabs of this size would be adequate to start with on 9ft long ski?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How far away from the transom is the propeller? This sounds extremely dangerous. Are you going to cover the prop somehow, if you slid back off this this thing it will do more that cut your nuts off.

I would think a boat so small would not be able to do such speed in a controlled manner.

The trim tabs are too small and you need to weld a shaft to them.

I think I would be making a bracket /cover that gets the rudder in the right place and gives some protection of that prop.

5. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

edited

6. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

my concerns....

edited

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.