Showboat Sternwheeler

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by phrogjlf@yahoo, Nov 4, 2014.

1. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

Hi all! Been a while. Had a few strokes, but back up and working toward a decent project.

Idea is to take the "Showboat" Sternwheeler, spread the hull beam to about 7'6", give it higher freeboard, removable catwalks, and a taller cabin. Cabin will be sparsely outfitted for R&R, with a futon sofa that unfolds to a Queen size, cabin will be roofed something like a RR passenger coach, with raised central clerestory, both for height and light. Instead of just a drive wheel, would like to go electric, such that river current, when at anchor, can drive motor in generator-mode, to provide electricity. Kind of a porta-potty weekender type 'roughing-it' escape pod...

Here's Svensons link to the original...

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=PaddleBoats/Showboat

Here's a plastic drum waterwheel-generator...

http://www.hydro-electric-barrel.com/

Cabin design somewhere along these lines (just smaller)...

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/ebergh/2014104234330_caboose.jpg

Instead of the raised railroad style watchman's area, was thinking of the helm being in a tug-like structure, slanted windows and all. Something like the end of this pilot-house, with a window looking hack, over the main cabin...

http://fremonttugboat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_2095-300x225.jpg

Found this hull, here in the forums, some time ago. I like the way it would raise the transom, ahead of the wheel, but think it should probably be higher...

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...ard-atkin-seabright-skiff-xbb2-waterline6.png

Later,
    Jeff F.
    Cedar Creek, Texas

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

Had a thought, for the forward pilothouse...

Copy a smaller vehicle cab, upside down, then use the safety glass (even wipers o_O )...

Go for an older one with vent windows...

Heck, even install the dashboard, to fit instruments, radio(s), even a stereo...

Anyone have thoughts on the subject? It might actually be easier than designing from scratch, plus has the benefit of readily available windows...

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Here are two different designs that, while they may be larger than what you have in mind, may be of use to you none-the-less.

The first is for Alligator, designed by R.M.Haddock, and begins on page 389 of this annual from The Rudder. This whole file may be downloaded in PDF form by clicking on the gear icon to the upper right.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3K...04YCIDQ&ved=0CEAQuwUwBzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

The second is Mud Turtle from the MototBoating's Ideal Series #4. As with the last this one can be downloaded in PDF form too. The article begins on page 56.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Px...QTJi4HACg&ved=0CCMQuwUwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

4. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Heres what I think you could do :

Buy a set of 40 ft 36" around aluminum pontoons.
    Mount camper on it. Strip camper siding.
    Build small pilot house.
    New siding around pilot house and camper.
    Cover roof in solar panels, put up a 500 w wind generator.

Add a paddle wheel on the back, along with an electric outboard.

That might be a little easier, and get on the water sooner, instead of building a hull and everything from scratch.
    Also I don't think the prop would be ideal to catch energy, and the electric motor would be non ideal to generate electricity.

5. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

TYVM! Had seen drawings of the Alligator Launch, not articles...

I agree with the appearance statement on keeping the sides low, so putting the clerestory in actually gets best of both worlds. Looks low, with headroom in the main walkway.

6. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

Could, but that makes it both higher out of the water and much larger than I'm planning. I'll have the teardrop-camper of sternwheelers...

By keeping the catwalk low, swimmers can just pull themselves up on the side, for a seat. Not large enough to sleep everyone, I have 5 kids and a grandson, but cozy for 2, or 2 and a toddler. Grandma and I can take the grandbaby out, if we want... Kids and their other-halves can have a night on the river, that sort of thing. She won't be a foul-weather fun-boat, but I've never seen anything that really was, regardless of size.

Aside from the pilot-house, she'll have room for a fold-out sofa and room to maneuver around it, when folded out, snug quarters for getting out of the house, but so is a tent, or a tree-house.

Excellent ideas. Probably put a pair of electrics between the wheel and hull, so they're hidden... They make stick-down amorphous solar panel stuff, for raised-seam metal roofing... ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  7. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

8. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Why not then just put a gas outboard, and the electric trolling motors, in front of the paddle wheel, and just leave the paddle wheel for looks?

What about buying an old rotten pontoon boat, stripping it, and utilizing the pontoons and stringers? That would save a ton of work, and then you can spend time enjoying building the little cabin.

If you're smart about it, and use good materials , and build a smaller cabin, the thing could be quite nice, and pretty stable yet.

9. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

This low, flat hull has better shallow water characteristics than a larger, heavier pontoon, or camper. A rise, before the transom, allows water to transition better to the wheel, for the generator purposes, also is the space where a leading pair of rudders would go, so it ideal for a pair of hidden electric trolling motors. Hiding them, between to wheel and hull helps maintain the sternwheeler appearance. A gas outboard would obliterate the peace and serenity of an all-electric, steamer look-alike.

Sternwheelers usually have a pair of rudders in the space between the hull and the wheel. They also usually have a pair behind the wheel. Some even had a pair at the bow, to aid with maneuvering. Using a pair of electric trolling motors, in parallel, individually reversible, will actually be far more maneuverable than normal, while maintaining the peace, gliding along, just like trolling for Bass.

This hull can be compared to making a wide jon-boat hull, barge, or punt, with a few minor mods, for the particular purpose it is being built. It should draw no more than a few inches of water, as-is. Part of the reason Riverboats were so useful is their shallow-water capability, along with the raw power of steam and the paddlewheel, to move heavy loads.

For my purposes, the ability to move it around under power, is a plus, not an absolute need. By adding power, I also increase the safety requirements for registering and operating a powered boat, at least, here in Texas. If I absolutely NEED to move it far, I can always use a generator, which makes it a gas/electric hybrid, like some of the newer hybrid electric cars that are being tested.

It isn't intended to be a live-aboard. Add a cooler, a port-a-potty and a camping-stove, and you have a weekender. Anything longer and the person/people better be comfortable in cramped quarters, alone, or together... There IS nowhere else to escape to. More than a tent, or pop-up camper, like a small teardrop-trailer, just on the water. Figure a total inside floor of 7 ft by 10 ft and it's maybe as large as a decent walk-in closet, or comparable to a Coleman 4-person pop-up tent, with extra head-room.

Batteries will be placed as ballast, to maintain a fairly even-keel, when occupied.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  10. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

Cabin structure will be something along these lines...

http://betterplayhouses.com/caboose.php

With a bit more standing room, in the center, slightly longer, with the pilot-house/wheelhouse shorter than the overall height with the upper area open to the interior and decked over.

11. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I've noticed that there are only 2 types of boats that get built; either to serve a purpose, or to serve a desire.

In other words, a lot of people come on here, and want to make a boat to perform a certain way, be good at certain tasks, etc.

Then, there are projects that are more personal desire, that might not make sense, in a useful or commercial sense, but you just want it for another reason.

Your design certainly seems to be more 'want' with the paddle wheel and all.
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also plan on building a 'want' boat one day.

I do have one question though, why are you cutting yourself so short on space? Are you limited by the tow vehicle?
    Even if you kept the cabin that small, if you extended the deck space, you could have more room, and shallower draft too. A little more room for coolers?!

The batteries in the keel area is a great idea for weight, but will you be using it in salt water ever? If so, I think batteries can dangerously react with salt water, so that could be a terrible idea if thats the case.

Y

12. parkland

parkland Senior Member

13. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

It's a 'want' but it's also fills several 'needs'... Wife no longer works, I'm a disabled veteran and at home all the time. It's a project to keep me moving, but also something that I can put to use. We just don't have enough space to avoid everyone (3 kids at home, 1 in college and 1 with a grandson elsewhere).

Shallow draft is a big issue, right now. We're in a drought and the rice farmers downstream are having to do without...

It's more for me, but the wife is interested. It can serve as a spare bedroom, when we have overnight guests, or a hide-away, when I need to get out of the house.

I plan on using the newer sealed AGM type batteries and a lot of both dielectric grease and sealant on the electricals.

As a 1st boat, I'll keep her as small as I can. Once I'm sure of what I'm doing and know more what I want to do different, I can build something else. I've lived in a tiny travel-trailer, so I'm comfortable with the smaller space and minimal functionality aspect.

14. parkland

parkland Senior Member

What about something like this :

[​IMG]

And put a paddle wheel on the back?
    I have to imagine you can't beat flat bottom for a low draft boat.
    And the simple angles would lead to simple construction.

I imagine a small 5-10 hp air cooled engine could turn the paddle fast enough to get some decent cruising speed if needed, and electric trolling motors could still move it around quite easy.

Maybe your skills are much better than mine, but the showboat looks like it would take a lot of skill to build.

15. phrogjlf@yahoo

phrogjlf@yahoo JL Frusha

No compound curves, until I change the bottom of the hull, mild bending of the gunwales is within the normal ability of the planking. Otherwise, it's very similar in structure and method. I am a member at shantyboat.com so I've seen the Bolger's and derivatives. Part of why I don't feel compelled to build a much larger one. I don't foresee any problems, except maybe taping/glassing the curves.Use the stitch and cover method, like they use for canoes and other small plywood boats.

Not making the oriental looking cupola, just a simpler overall shape to the cabin. Pilot-house will be taller than the cabin, so I can see back, over the roof and clerestory, with it floored to the same height as the deck, add a flip-up box for additional storage, and to stand on, a seat that folds up and latches out of the way, or one of those RV table style pipe-wells for a pedestal seat...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.