Cutting down a design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SvenHakh, Jan 28, 2022.

1. SvenHakh

SvenHakh New Member

Hello!

I've seen many boat plans over the years, and many times there is an addendum regarding *stretching* the plans to make a slightly longer boat. I'm actually looking to do something opposite of this.

I'd like to build something along the lines of M/Y Hedonist:
    [​IMG]

I love the sleek profile, but I'd prefer something a bit smaller. I would much prefer a swim platform that folds up to serve as a transom wall / railing when not in use. Also, I'd prefer to be able to remove the raised rear lounge area and simply have some open deck space (possibly with seating along the sides). Something around 40' where the rear it set up more like a Carver C43 Coup, but something I can build and finish to my specs, rather than shelling out $700k. I have a background in metal fabrication and fabrication business.

My usage would be largely by river, with occasional travel on the Great Lakes, and close-to-shore commuting up the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. -- Without further rambling, I'm looking for plans for something similar to any of the following:

M/Y Hedonist
    Carver C43 Coup
    Greenline Yachts "Neo" hardtop
    Back Cove 340 or similar.

Any helpful guidance is greatly appreciated.

-Sven

2. pironiero

pironiero Coping

depending on percentage of scale it may work or not, you better run scaled version through simulations anyways

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Going from a 19m boat to a 12m boat is not possible. These are two totally different boats. The length and width can be scaled but, for example, the depth cannot follow the same scale. The total weight is not reduced in the same scale since the weight of many of the on-board equipment, deck equipment, engines,..., does not obey that proportion. The weight distribution will be totally different and therefore the trim and stability conditions. In short, it is a totally different boat. But don't worry, the project to reduce the length as you want is as expensive, almost, as doing a new project.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

For an aluminum boat design, you should use aluminum boats as an example. It is not impossible to build an aluminum boat with the compound curves of a fiberglass design. However, it will cost you more than $700K. You can go to a Naval Architect and show him the kind of look or style you want. A new design can be of whatever length you decide.

Youssef Hamdy likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

I would try to find a Carver owners forum and see what complaints that they have with the bow entry. It appears that in heavier seas that you will always have a drenched windshield. It does look nice but.............

6. Youssef Hamdy

Youssef Hamdy Junior Member

Hello,
    regarding your project, I think if your background is in metal, maybe you should outsource the design and build it at a fiberglass boat builder. it might seem as if you are going to save when you do it your own, but what you save, you spend many times over in mistakes and repair work, no matter what you do or how skilled you are in my opinion. If you need help in design or building, please send me an email to yhamdi@gmail.com. I would be glad to help. I am a yacht designer myself and have overseen many builds over the years...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.