How to design barge for load 20tonnes excavatoror

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fikry Ramli, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Fikry Ramli

Fikry Ramli New Member

Hi everyone..
    Im student in naval architecture..
    Im need to design barge for loading 20tonnes excavator as a final year project. So, i need to know how long it is, width, depth.. Need to know its calculation..now i dont know how to start it.. Please help me.. Im really thankful If somebody can give me a design as a reference ..

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

He is studying naval architecture. There is no reason to suppose that he does not know the basic principles of such a discipline. Another very different thing is that I don't know how to start a project and that's where, if you want and you know how, you could help.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A senior design means he will graduate this semester

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What does it have to do with what the OP asks? Help him, if you know how to do it, and avoid irrelevant things.
    @Fikry Ramli, if you want, send me a personal message with more information about your boat to see how I can help, or send it to Gonzo, who is also willing to help.

6. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

I have to strongly disagree with the above. The OP is a NA student in his final year asked to do what should be a normal task for him after graduating. If he has no clue how to begin to do that there are only a few possibilities:
    1. His teachers are so bad they never teached him how.
    2. He does not have access to technical literature.
    3. He never paid attention in class and now he tries to find a quick way out.

Unless the library burned down and his internet broke the normal answer should be "go read (again) what your teachers told you to".

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Instead I totally agree with you. These guys who turn to this forum to see if someone solves the problem should go to their teachers, it would be more ethical to do so. On more than one occasion I have said that this is the correct way to act. But helping a student is not doing the job he or she has been asked to do, but, for example, telling him or her what book to read or giving him or her some guidelines on how he should approach his problem. Instead of doubting his theoretical knowledge (there is no reason to do so), he can be helped in how to put it into practice. It is not the first time that, in this forum, someone indicates the steps to follow to develop a project.
    When I say that I can help him, I do not mean that I will do his project but that I will help him to do it. As, perhaps, it is embarrassing for him to expose his limitations here, I offer him to do it through a PM.

DogCavalry likes this.
  8. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Fikry, as a starting point you could assume that the barge is shaped like a rectangular block.
    Dare I ask if you (as a final year naval architecture student) know how to calculate the volume of a block without a computer?

As an illustration of how important it is to know about how buoyancy and stability are affected by loading cargo like excavators on to barges, do a search on YouTube and you will find many spectacular failures where somebody decided to 'wing it' - and the barge invariably capsizes.

9. Fikry Ramli

Fikry Ramli New Member

10. Fikry Ramli

Fikry Ramli New Member

First of all, thanks for respond.
    For last year project i need to design barge carry out with all calculation (deadweight, lightweight, trim, and where to set up excavator,draft after loading, cost of material to construct barge,thickness of plate, etc.
    Sorry for asking this..

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What are the demands placed on your barge, do you have a SOR for it? With the information you have given us it is not possible to give you any advice.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  12. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Well, I can tell how NOT to design it.

You are the student, you tell me how to design it, please.

13. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Establishing a coherent SOR is the arguably the more important part of the task he was given. Proving that he knows the apropiate math to solve the SOR is secondary, it's more of a verification mechanism of the university that all teachers did their job and graded correctly.

Please don't get me wrong about helping students. If somebody comes here with a specific design or technical question I am all for helping him understand it. After all not every teacher is actually good at explaining things, and a student showing a will to learn has to be encouraged.
    This case is different because this student has a problem regarding the holistic design process. Now it well might be the case that his school does not actually teach this explicitly (yes this is a defendable curricular position), and one might help him if one thinks that it's wrong to do so, but we don't know for sure.

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

@Rumars, in general, as I have said before, I agree with you but, regarding SOR, I believe that this is the only thing that the student should not create. On the contrary, it is his teacher who must give him an SOR and the student will try to design the boat that best meets it.
    That is why I ask the OP about the SOR, and if he does not have it, he should demand it from the teacher, or send the teacher to study his career again.

15. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Didn't we go through this same exam question last year?
    Crane barge stability https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/crane-barge-stability.61624/#post-845830

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.