Engine block for 4.3L Volvo

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by zomowiec, Jun 2, 2007.

1. zomowiec

zomowiec New Member

My block is cracked and it's garbage so i was thinking if it's possible to buy 4.3 chevy astro short block and swap the accessories with the cam.
    As far as i know the block is the same so heads and intake should fit no prob.
    Chevy astro has 4" bore with 3.48 stroke the same as my old engine same firing order. The only thing that im worried about is difference in crankshaft and balancing because i would have to swap the balancer so my pulley and water pump would fit, Also im worried that marine rods, pistons, crankshaft is build stronger than car engine to withstand hi rpm's,
    Do you guys think it could work

New marine short block is $2000.00 and my boat is 91 so it's not really worth putting so much money into it.

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

The balancer should work fine since the short block is the same. However, you might take this opportunity to swap in a set of +96 vortec heads, along with a new intake manifold. Easy 40 hp over the old style heads, even with the same cam. Just make sure you put in a good set of valve springs.

3. zomowiec

zomowiec New Member

Thank's for the reply, but my question is do you guys think this shortblocks will be the same, they have same numbers but i'm thinking if crankshaft from 4.3 astro will be strong enough for a boat which runs most of the times around 4000 rpm

4. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

It should be fine, 4000 rpm isn't that high. But if it makes you feel better, just swap the boat's crank into the new block.

5. zomowiec

zomowiec New Member

was thinking about it but than you have to deal with bearings rod bolts, it's possible but also a lot of work

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.