Low power launch for choppy condtions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by frank smith, Oct 1, 2013.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I am looking for info for a 22' Low power launch type boat. It should be able to run at 18 mph max, and run at an average of 12 mph in 1-2' chop. the motor will be 25hp or so. Box keel or warped bottom vee. I think that the warped bottom would roll the most when running. I am not sure how the box keel would be best terminated for out board.
    Disp around 2000lb beam about 6-6.5' The box keel would be the simplest form to build. Are the any other bow shapes to consider?
    Then maybe a simple asymmetrical dory cat would be the best solution.

2. sprit

sprit Junior Member

Bill Atkin's Ninigret

3. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Ninigret is on the list , and there is one close by, but I have never seen it run. Maybe I can get a hold of the owner.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I think it a good idea to make it worth the while of the boat owner by offering some cash for a demo, money well spent imo. :D

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The UN FAO boat would be a good choice.

free plans on their website

nice looking low power boat.

Attached Files:

• fao.jpg
      fao.jpg
      File size:
      446.6 KB
      Views:

6. Earl Westman

Earl Westman Junior Member

Hi Michael, I have looked at those plans for years, but that is the first photo I have been able to see of one. I am right now trying to figure out if I could frame it like a Spira dory (extra frames), and put an antique 18 hp Johnson on it. I like the drawings of the 6.3 meter boat. It looks like it would handle chop, as well as allow me to put up a sail.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.