Rubbing out the Nibs in Awlgrip

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by TripleCrownNC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

that snader i was askin bout,,,SANDER,,,as you see "meds" came early hehe ;)

2. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

Well just came in from the shop to read this. Here is what I did. I sanded the lid. I wiped the lid 2X with alcohol. I tacked the lid.

I measured all the ingredents for the paint and passed through a screen. I mixed. I waited 10 minutes. I screened again. Nothing impressive in the mesh.

I watched the paint, it looked smooth on the stick. I poured some on some foil and watched. Looked ok. I poured some on the lid. I watched it spread. Looked ok. I got out a new brush and coated the whole lid. I tiped the whole lid. Got the particles.

How long should I wait to pull the tape on the other non skid lids? They look great.

3. TripleCrownNC

Been using electric palm sander

4. TripleCrownNC

Worried bout pulling the tape on the non skid, those lids seen about 4-5 coats of paint.

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i say sooner the better,,,but like Kapt. always points out to me,,,awl grip flows for about a week,,,,but i pull my non-skid as fast as i possibly can because it seems to rip easier cause of the weight,,and that leaves a jagged line anyways hehe ;)
    and them spots "bumps" look WAY big enough to be caught by the screen,,,so it cant be the paint, if ya positive its "crumb" like ca-ca not fisheyes,,,,im at a lost man,,do you live near an airport ?,,,are ya sure ya 2 girlfriends didnt get horny see'n that pretty paint job and get "snail trails" on it?,,,man im outta ideas fer 20 minutes,,least,,,try what i said before on post 58,,,and do it down the street at the wal-mart parking lot,,,,we gotta figure this out,,,gonna drive me ta smoke!

6. TripleCrownNC

Pull now? Last wet coat been there about 1 hour

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

well...no,,,you rolled,,,so is way thicker,,,,do it FIRST thing in the mornin

8. TripleCrownNC

ok, my meds kicken

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I still think it's the paint. It's curdling like old milk. I never saw this before, but it's the only think I can think of. Jim, you know what I went through between the Airport, the silicon and the road traffic on the last paint, so I think I have seen most contaminates. (all at the same time)

I run a razor down the non-skid. It's too thick to pull directly, especially if you have flattener added in it. Use a metal straight edge.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya Kapt. thats what im thinking,,,,just making sure,,,,ya dont know how many people i've seen take paint back,,,,just to find out they are at fault,,,,(ive never done it before,hehe ;) ) ,,i just going through everything i can before he goes and shoots the rep.,,,and if ya "rep" is away for an emergency,,,call awl-grip and tell them,,,they'll make everything right,,,,,if its the paint,,,hehe ;) ,,,and i've seen the curdling before,,,,right after someone used the wrong reducer

11. TripleCrownNC

I have all the right chemicals, not using the wrong stuff. Tell me bout ya rags. I think it might be the rags.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

non lint,,pre-washed,,NEW rags,,,well,,,i have a person clean my rags (ole lady) hehe,,and washed in PLAIN water,,JUST water nothing else,,,the pre wash is to get lint,,and anything contaminants out.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

nother thing,,,,,try not tacking,,,just an ounce of too much pressure,(actually ya shouldnt have ANY pressure on it) ,,just hang on to 1 corner,,and lightly drag it across ya piece,,,next brain fart later,,,hehe,, ;) ,,,and Kapt. prob. wont see post till sunday night,,,is boat weekend for him i bet hehe ;)

14. TripleCrownNC

Going out to buy different rags. Dont get why the tack rag wont get it but it is about the last thing I can think of. Will recoat the lid tonignt, the NS stuff looks fine. Its not pro work but never expected it to be.

Snailen makes for a thick coat and pulling the tape hard. Lots of razor work and sort of a thick edge.

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if ya press a LITTLE too much on ya tack rag,,,some of the bees wax will come off,,,and it will look like ya tried to spray paint a candle,,,it gives a "curdling" look, along with fish eyes,,,,and since ya "snailing" it,,ya roll ya roller over it,,and it will leave a "track".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.