Rubbing out the Nibs in Awlgrip

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by TripleCrownNC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

how to send pic? dont see your e address

2. TripleCrownNC

by the way, after I sanded my *** off all day that is the best you could come up with?? hehe

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

now he's gonna tell me its TOO big fer his mail too,,hehe ;) :rolleyes:

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ohhh,wellz,,,,"meds" kicking in time fer bed,,,if no sleepy i may get lazy fer a day hehe ;)

6. TripleCrownNC

alrighty then, nity night

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

looks like a crap load of dust and fisheyes to me.

Attached Files:

8. TripleCrownNC

Well all I can tell you is this a just a cooler lid. Maybe 2 x 1.5'. Its been wiped off, its been two clothed w/alcohol, its been tacked, the paint been filtered, the roller and brush are new. The shop is closed up. No settling time.

I see guys on line spraying outside. I give up.

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

them guys online spraying outside,,,dont get a job worth $4.00 ,,,they think it looks good,,,but mostly because they've never REALLY looked at a good job,,,and dont want to "see" their screw ups.,,the more i look at it the more it looks like fisheyes,,,,so somewhere you got it contaminated,,if it was mine,,,i'd sand it all,,,down past ya primer,,but,,,,the "salt" that ya getting is strange,,,specially if ya just dripping it on something,,,,,,,,when ya sand,,go through 4 or 5 times the paper you would normally,,and do ya top coat first,,sand that off,,then sand ya new primer,,then sand again,,then again,,them last 2 times,,should only go down as thick as a usual once sanding,,,,,you got contaminated with something,,,and dont feel bad,,,ive had it happen ONCE!!,,,o.k.,,,maybe a few more times then once,,,but sometimes theres NO WAY OF KNOWING,,till after ya go through this,,,i had 1 boat i painted 3 times before i got it right,,,shhhhhhh,,,, hehe ;)

10. TripleCrownNC

If I do anything with it today I will do something like sand and clean the hell out of it, use only a brush, no roller, and apply the paint to some other surface as a test (first before hitting the lid). What I am not sure. I also am going to eliminate the roller pan, maybe the paint is attacking and pulling something out of that plastic. The paint residue in the roller pan also looks like the lid, bumps in it.

Right now just bummen, and wore out.

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

If you are having the same reaction in the roller pan then you must have a contaminate in the paint or reducer. Did you buy your paint locally? I would take the pan and what is left of your paint and reducer and take it back. Awl Grip is pretty good about replacing bad paint, and it does happen, not often but Jim probably has run into bad batches. I haven't.
    If there was a contaminate on the hull it would have been gone by now. Dripping the paint on the box shows that the contaminate is not in the brush or roller. That only leaves the paint itself. Unless you are mixing your paint in a bucket that had oil or silicon in it it can't be anything else. Silicon causes a crawling effect, I don't see that. Double check the type of reducer you are using. Don't mix up the primer reducer with the brushing - top coat reducer. The cans look the same. Are you tipping all the air bubbles out?

12. TripleCrownNC

I bought everything from Jamestowndistrubors a few weeks ago. I have talked over and over with Awlgrip tech rep and he at a loss. The NC rep is out on family emergency so no help there.

What is weird is the I have been screening everything but not really mixed just yet. I might screen some and mix it up good, let it sit a few and screen it again.

I cannot find any expiry date on the reducer or converter.

The paint is flowing fine, these are not air bubbles.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya should ALWAYS screen after mixing,,when ya dump in ya pot,,,,NO DONT DUMP YA WEED IN!!,,heheit could even be something on ya sticks,,,which should be wiped down before use anyways,,,RIGHT BEFORE use,,,,and YES i have come across bad batches,,,5 or 6 times,,,after they got my bill for the first 1,,,they would just send a crew to redo,,hehe ;) ,,,,try this,,,,grab something from somewhere else but ya shop,,,,nothing major,,just something you can clean and give a fast sanding (ya not looking for a good job here,,,just looking at the paint) and get 1 of them new rollers make a pass,,,,and then tip HALF of what ya just rolled,,,,(mix ya paint in a VERY clean glass jar) ,,,and SAVE ya jar, put a top on it,,plastic wrap and rubber band,,,,and put in ya fridge.OH use some other thingy to stir with,,,use everything NOT FROM YOUR SHOP,,,even outside is ok,,as long as theres not ALOT of dust blowin,,,then tell us what everything looks like,,,if ya still got the same result,,its definitely ya paint.

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Good advice, Jim
    How are the girls. Closed that deal with Colonel Sanders yet?

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Girls are great,,,still buggin me hehe ;) ,,hows dem grandbabies doin,,,do they like chickens?,,specially FREE ones ..hehe ;)
    Nother question Triple,,,,,what kind of snader did ya use?,,,and if it is an air one,,,,did ya oil it? ,,,im trying to think of everything i can, without being there able to look myself,,,,was bout ready to ask bout ya air filters and water separators when ya spray,,,then saw the word BRUSH,,hehe,,but,,,what about water separator on ya air line if ya used air tools,,,they drip that crap everywhere,,,,same as oil'n ya sanders,,,,,thats why i STRESS,,buy a cheap arse sander,,,and DONT oil it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.