Rubbing out the Nibs in Awlgrip

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by TripleCrownNC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

No, I thought about giving you mine, but I like you too much. Still putzing with the damn engine and transmission, both out of the boat. I'm trying to do a $7,000.00 re-build for free by myself. I'll send you all the extra parts I end up with............

2. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

Well SOB. Prepped all day, sanded, wiped, new brushes, new (same kind) roller, alcohol wipe down, strained the paint. Same *&()*&^%$$*%8 result. The non skid looks great, the flat sections look the same, something in it. Crappy.

3. TripleCrownNC

You think its the roller? I spent 1 hour on the phone with tech help at Jamestown and this is what he said I should use. Its part ARW-7PFME - T/P, epoxy-pro roller cover, yellow foam, 1/4 inch nap.

Some one bring me nother beer.

4. TripleCrownNC

Opps, meant to say ya thinks its ya roller, hehe?!:)

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

---Told Jim that it would happen, Feel your pain, tomorrow buy some 4" foam rollers--Home depot is fine-- and do a light sand with 325, wash it down and paint the way I told you. Did you ask the guy at James town if HE ever used that roller with Awl grip? I can assure you he was reading from the box cover. Go look close at your boat and let me know if the "Ribs" start looking like Hair now that you know what to look for. I preached this in other threads that you said you read....No worries--good thing AwlGrip goes a long way. And the bright side is you will end up with a good heavy coating. Save the nap rollers for when you do your fiberglass or Veneer work.

6. TripleCrownNC

I am all about trying what ever you think, can you give me more info on the foam roller I am looking for?

The epoxy pro yellow foam the culprit?

I even tipped the piece with reducer to see if it was bubbles and they did not pop, but what ever it is you cannot really feel it through your gloves.

If the roller is sheding it would make sense.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

nother quick tip,,,,,dont go in and out of ya shop,,,and when ya do,,do it SLOW,,,and close the door EASY,,,you would not believe the crap that goes airborn when ya close a door,,,,,and wet down the walls if possible,,,and ya floor,,,,but dont over do it,,,just wet it down,,,not drown,,hehe ;)

8. TripleCrownNC

I cleaned the whole shop, let it settle for couple hours, closed everything off. Everything was clean and new. Its not settling stuff, something is going on when I put the top coat on. The alcohol did not tac up the surface like the 08 did.

I have pics of this stuff, is there a way to post or send to you guys?

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

when you leave a post "message",,look under the box,,hit advanced,,then look for "manage attachments",,then hit the browse button,,,then point it to ya pic,,,hit upload,,,and when its done,,hit reply

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i think Kapts. hit it on the nose,,i didnt think Nappy was right,,but,,im too lazy to go back and read for ya,,so,,hehe,,,,unless,,,,,are you married?,have girlfriend?,,both?,,,could ya send pics of her/them to my email?,,,ya could even send a pic of ya damned boat!,,hehe ;)
    SArebuilders@gmail.com ,,,,and the rest of you pervs,,,,,,,ya can send too,,hahahhaha,,,hehe ;) :p ;)

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if you cant post them i will for ya,,,again,,just cause jeff might be looking,,,,i'll even post ya boat pic ,,hehe ;)

12. TripleCrownNC

Pic is too many MB

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

send em and i'll crop em
    but i can already tell ya the rollers ya problem.hehe ;)

14. TripleCrownNC

Pic, both of them are my girl friends.

Attached Files:

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ummm,,,i dont think i wanna be in the same DREAM as you,,HA hehe ;)
    these the only friends i have :( hehe ;)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.