Rubbing out the Nibs in Awlgrip

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by TripleCrownNC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

nope,,,its not a curing problem,,how clean of a place are ya in,,,sounds like dust,or lint,,,which you wouldnt see until the next day anyways.

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

It sounds like you have a silicon contaminate. Think real hard way back when... Did you ever use a silicon caulk anywhere on the boat? It might have been a year ago for a toe rail??? Try --I really hate to say this--washing the boat down with MEK. Use heavy rubber gloves and a good respirator. This is a last resort fix. But you have a creeping contaminate of something on your hull. Try one area first like the transom.

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Jim,
    I have a feeling that if he looked real close at the bumps most would look like fish eye, but small. Dust like that would only come from working out side in the wind, or in a place full of sawdust in the rafters. He is going to have to do everything that we have said, and then do what we all do; pray to the paint gods.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

what about the kind of roller being used?,,,im jus guessin nows,,,but hate it when ya 1 up me hehe ;)

5. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

The more I look at this the harder it gets. The rollers are new every time I get paint out, they are the low nap ones for epoxy picked out by Jamestown. The brush tho is not new every time. Maybe dragging stuff in there I cannot see at first? Maybe the brush from repeat uses?

I will admit the shop is not as clean as a paint shop, but it is closed up and no air movement while curing. I am taking every effort to clean the piece and close everything up. And yes I am a woodworker. Maybe I will double up the cleaning effort and get more brushes, new every time??

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya shouldnt need a new brush every time, as long as your using a "high end" brush.,,do you clean ya brush between uses,,,,roll,,brush,,stick ya brush in cleaner,,,roll,,clean brush,,brush.

7. TripleCrownNC

I did a test piece late last night with a foam brush. It looks better. Its still some salt in there but not as bad. For now I am going to go get all new brushes, clean the shop and start a new. Having said that some paint I put on foil does have these small bumps in it, never saw the brush.

This also does not expain why when I sanded the one piece and cleaned with T0008 is got tacky real bad. Should not do that.

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya it should,,,,,awl grip doesnt fully cure for AT LEAST a month,,in the sun,,when ya cleaned it with 08,,ya softened already soft paint,,,thus bringing it back to almost "raw" paint form again.,,,if ya paint that ya pour on something has "salt" in it,,,,take ya can back to the rep,,and be REALLY FIRM with them of how much MONEY and EXTRA work this has caused,,,but be REALLY SURE its in the paint,,,,,and be REALLY REALLY sure ya didnt get a "dust bunny" or anything in the can when ya first opened it,,,,lots of people get excited when they get their paint,,,and dont think to blow off the can and lid before they take a "peek".

9. TripleCrownNC

Ya know what you are saying makes total sense to me. However for us snail painters, the awlgrip tech manual says this for between top coats:

Sanding between coats with 280-400 grit paper will provide a smoother finish.

After sanding, blow off sanding dust and residue while dry wiping. Solvent wipe with Awl-Prep using the Two Cloth Method. Tack off the surface with Awlgrip Tack Rags.

This is why I was hitting it with 08. Maybe this is part of the problem.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

when ya wipe off,,,,soak a rag in denatured alcohol,,,then ring the hell out of it,,,then "flap" it in the air (AWAY from boat) till it is only DAMP,,,and wipe just 3 hairs harder then when ya "tack",,,when you wipe you should see NO wet wipes,,but im not used to sanding between coats,,,,so you may be better off using filtered water first,,,then the denatured,,then tack.,,,,and that awl-grip manual,,should be used just as a "guidence" towards the REAL right way to do it ,,,hehe ;)

11. TripleCrownNC

Off to get the alcohol. Already been out getting new brushes, sanded my *** off today, for sure not using the 08 again. Paint tonight. tx

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

DO NOT USE NAP ROLLERS!!! GET 4" FOAM hot dogs!! a good china bristle 2" brush. brush in one direction - down. Do not roll more than 8" before you tip. Do not stop have a new roller in your pocket because the first will blow up in 20 min. May the paint gods be with you.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

knew it was dust(HAIR) in it,,hehe,,,,NO NAPPIES,,,,,wonder if im gonna be fired like Howard Cosell,,hehe ;)

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Na, but you better stay out there in the desert. That is his proplem. No matter how "good" the nap rollers are they will shed. That is the "ribs" he was finding, and he'll find them tomarrow too. Oh well, the third or 4th time should be a charm. Gotta go watch the "ice Queens" as you are so found of saying. I'll check back between periods.

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i tell ya,,,im gonna get a boat,,and paint the thing with rig-kote,,outside,,in the "land of non-skid" in 60mph winds,,,,and im not gonna wash,,wipe,,or even blow off the boat,,,then im gonna go inside and paint the engine with the same stuff,,and not even wipe the grease off!!,,hehe ;) ,,,jus so i can say i did it..hehe ;) ,,,,,anyone wanna buy a boat? :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.