Boat Planning and Performance question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Joman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

Hello builders,

I am a young guy and very interested in boats, especially in offshore boats and manufacturing. I have some questions about it and i would be pleased if some of the questions could be answered :). I think many good people who know a lot about boats are around here so I thought this might be the best place to ask such questions.

Is these a book or some source where I can find out about the different types of hulls, and its disadvantages and advantages etc.? For example I have heart about F.A.S.T hulls, V-hulls, deep-hulls but I have no idea what the features behind the names are. However, a video on the Crownline webpage has explained about F.A.S.T hulls a bit.

After I designed a boat hull using CAD how can I find out about the boat's real life performance? Speed, water resistance, wake produced and most importantly if the boat is actually stable in the water at high speeds and rough water.

Thank YOU
    JOMAN
    :)

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Dave, This one's for you.

3. Joman

Joman New Member

DAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE

By the way, I downloaded the PDF version of the book "Marine Composition, second edition". Unfortunately it is not up to date. Is there a book around that has the same contend but is up-to-date?

Thank you

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

So are you looking for a short cut to understanding yacht design? Unfortunately there isn't a "cheat sheet" you can use, you have to absorb the information the hard way, take a course and do a lot of studying.

Daaavvvvee is likely Dave Geer, (my assumsion Peter) who is the head of Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology, which is a correspondence school and an industry leader for small craft design.