rpms increase but boat wont go any faster

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sleepinducer01, May 6, 2006.

1. sleepinducer01

sleepinducer01 New Member

Hello, I am new to boating(2nd year) and have a problem. I have a outboard 2005 johnson 2 stroke motor 175 hp. I putmy boat in the water yesterday and was driving it to my slip which was about 5 miles from the boat ramp. While in the no wake area it was driving fine. Once i was able to pick up the speed, the rpms went up but the speed didnt increase. The boat seemed to go on plane, but it wouldnt go any faster. i had to drive it to the dock at about 10 mph. THe engine is only one year old and still inder warranty. I'm not sure what the problem is, it ran fine all last season. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks

2. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

Rubber prop hub slipping?
    Tilt the motor up, put the engine in gear and see if you can turn the prop with your hands. If so, you need a new prop or to get a prop shop to press in a new hub dougnut.
    moT

3. sleepinducer01

sleepinducer01 New Member

Thanks. I'll try that

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.