How to clean 30 years of muck out of folkboat bilge

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jmennell, Nov 19, 2006.

1. jmennell

jmennell New Member

I've acquired a folkboat for a backyard restoration. It's been out of the water for 30 years and the bilge is full of leaf matter and other unmentionable accumulations. I want to clean it out and also give the interior a good scrubbing so I can better evaluate the condition. What would be the appropriate cleansing solution to use, considering how dry the wood is. I didn't want the first thing to get soaked into the wood to be the cleaning solution, but I'd like the boat to get a good cleaning and some disinfecting, because I'll be spending a lot of time inside and out... he some people golf, which is not an inexpensive recreation. Thanks.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Remove as much as you can by hand (or shovel) then take a shop vac to it. The goo in the low lying areas will be stubborn and probably need to be loosened with a scrapper, then it too can be vacuumed out. Eventually you'll get down to dirty and stained painted surfaces or raw wood. These areas can be cleaned with a variety of mild cleaners and water. Use something water soluble, so you can stop any reactions by hosing down an area. I like a product called Spray 9, but many other cleaners can be had, including bilge specific cleaners from the local marine store.

A pressure washer shouldn't be used. You'll remove a lot more then dirt with one and likely blast off some wood too. Don't be too afraid to use water and cleaners. After 30 years on the hard, she'll need a complete going through before stretching her sea legs again. A mild water and bleach mixture will kill most of the beasties that will be on the wood and make her smell a bit better.

Do your self a favor and hire a good marine carpenter to look her over. 30 years on stands or in a cradle will have left a heavy toll on her shape and structure. Much of this is very difficult for the average back yard boat restorer to notice. Lots of experience and a trained eye can see these things reasonably easily. Much of your efforts will be directed toward the correct areas, in the right order of business, if you get a proper evaluation in this early stage of the project.

3. jmennell

jmennell New Member

thank you

very helpful details... thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.