Rowboat for Big Guy on Great Lakes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hoss10, Feb 16, 2011.

1. hoss10

hoss10 Junior Member

I'm looking to build another rowboat. I presently have a Welsford Molleyhawk (which is the long version of his Seagull), which is OK but 'm looking for a little more performance (and would like to build another boat). I'm very big and tall 6'5" and about 300 pounds. I will be rowing mostly on Lake Huron, so it's not always smooth water.

I have been doing some research and like the CLC Norteastern dory, or the Bolger Stretched Light Dory. Years ago I built a short Bolger Light Dory and found it fast but very tender.

My building experience is that I have built many boat, but they have all been plywood (T@T or S@G) or Strippers.

Does anyone have any experience with the two boats above, or have any other ideas as for designs to fit my needs.

Thanks for the help.

1 person likes this.
  2. kayaker50

kayaker50 Junior Member

I have a South Haven Dory, and I know what you mean about being tender.
    I don't have any experience with either of the boats you mention, but here is another alternative, the Annapolis Tandem Wherry by CLC Boats: http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/rowboats/annapolis-wherry-tandem-rowboat.html

And here is a conversation about this very subject on another forum (warning: your boat is very highly thought of here): http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=009vkc

After looking at the sketch of your Molleyhawk, I am thinking about building one myself. I use my dory mostly for fishing, and the tenderness is a liability. I'm thinking the square stern of the Molleyhawk would be a lot more stable. How heavy is your boat?

I hope this helps. Paul.

1 person likes this.
  3. hoss10

hoss10 Junior Member

Paul

The Molleyhawk is nice and stable, overall a pretty nice boat. It does tend to drag it's stern a little, probably needs the balance rearranged. It went together well. It has been more the a few years but there was a problem, with the height of the frames. Either I messed up (I did check the plans) or there is an error but the frames were about an inch short. I basically twinned the frames to fix it. The plans are metric which was very fast to layout. As for weight I don't really know, it's not really light but I built it pretty heavy. Perhaps 120 pounds or so. With a little outboard this thing would move along nicely.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm interested in similar boats and I'm 6'2", 270ish

I'd be rowing in the SF bay, or even shooting some class II.

I haven't been able to find a pic or study plans of this "Stretched Bolger Light Dory".

Any help, and has the SBLD ever been fitted with sails and boards, or a motor mount, and at 19ft does it work for more than one rowing station, or sliding seats?

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.