Classic harder mistake

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hardguy007, Aug 20, 2016.

1. hardguy007

hardguy007 Junior Member

Rite, straight to the point...I didn't add enough harder to the gelcoat. Don't ask me why or how but for some dopey reason I only added harder to the gelcoat at approx 0.5%. I mixed 5kg of clear gel with 0.5kg of pigment and split it into 2 containers but I only added 10ml of harder to each.

So what to do now? Will it go off? Could I risk a first layer of glass?

Btw it's polyester based and it was on a mould I was laying up.

Please don't laugh at me.lol

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

There are lots of threads asking about improperly mixed hardener - mostly epoxy here, but still, you shouldn't feel worse than you already do.

Someone will know something - not me, but chin up.

You're not a real boatbuilder until you can cope with problems. :D

3. lake pirate rrr

lake pirate rrr Junior Member

i would think it would probably not go off at .5

though you'll know soon enough .. if it fingerprints or dings with a fingernail then it's probably not going to get hard enough ..

i would put a 'hot coat' over it and see if it'll cure .. if it's not too big a mix .. just boost it to 2% if you have time ..

i go up and down but always hit 1% just because nothing's worse then perma goop or soft material ..

i'm new to gelcoat .. but also resin for instance .. i'm no pro just sayin' ... also i got a new digital scale for 5bucks yesterday at northern tool .. i already gooped up my other digi scales .. but i do really like a little chart i made up and dropping it right into disposable drinking cups off the scales ..

good luck .. hope it hardens up

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Becoming somewhat hard and curing correctly are two very different things. It can appear cured, but the physical properties may be poor, this includes UV and water resistance, so it's a gamble. It may also wrinkle up when resin is applied.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That was a decimal error; you should have used 100ml to obtain a 2% mix, now it is 0.2%.
    Only bright sunlight and high temperature can help you.

6. AusShipwright

AusShipwright Junior Member

I would suggest you need to start again. The gelcoat will pickle once resin has been added.

As mentioned earlier, common practice for mixing gelcoat/flowcoat is for a minimum of 2% catalyst(depending on conditions). 5kg @ 2% is 100mL. You will also need to reapply release agents used on the mold once you've peeled the uncured gel off.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

With the exposure to the atmosphere, it is likely the uncured gelcoat absorbed a lot of moisture. The best is to remove it and re-do it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.