Round in circles I go

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mik the stick, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mik the stick

Mik the stick Senior Member

I have learned a lot from this forum and Dave Gerrs books. I started with a WW2 harbour defense launch as my chosen vehicle to cross the Atlantic. I have now worked up a spec for a round bilge version of a WW2 MASB to do the same job.
    LOA 62'
    LWL 57.5'
    BWL 12.6'
    Tc 1.86'
    18.5 Tons.
    Now I looked at how much power would be needed SL2 would be possible requiring 327Shp. The boat could have that much power but I decided to make top speed 12kts because the smaller diesel would make the boat a lot cheaper. 12Kts = 162Shp (Wyman formula). This power is for average conditions,but I can find no reference to what average calm or heavy weather actually is. I recon up to force 2 is calm, force 4 is average, and 8 + is heavy weather.

Now G. Brewer says his diesel duck needs 30Shp for 8.5kts in calm conditions. So I used the same formula to predict the power requirement for my design. Note the recommended power for DD(38foot) is 50 to 80.

From the document repowering Tortuga Calm requires 10Shp, Average requires 13.6Shp, and Heavy weather needs 25Shp for 6.5kts.
    SHP in calm conditions
    Kts SHP
    Installed SHP =150
    In a calm the boat could reach 13kts
    In average conditions the boat needs 105.1 x 1.36 = 141.9Shp for design speed. Not too far from the Wyman prediction.
    In heavy weather (a gale) 49.1 x 2.5 = 122.8Shp for 10kts. If the crew are up to it.
    Maintaining 7Kts in a gale would require about 31Shp.
    So what do you think of my calculations.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't think 30HP will get 8.5 knots in a duck. They have huge resistance. Also, in a gale, 31HP won't even give you enough speed to maintain steering. Say you get a bit better than 1 mile per gallon. You will need, depending on where you cross 1800 to 2500 gallons. Have you accounted for the weight and volume of fuel?

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Long distance voyaging in an amphibious craft would have lots of benefits. The big one is being able to haul yourself up on a beach or even inland on islands etc, instead of being forced to anchor in tricky situations and 'commute' in tippy tenders.

4. Mik the stick

Gonzo
    Yes I don't think you would get far in a duck with 30Shp But In calm conditions the calculations say it will make 8.17kts on 31.7Shp. In the thirty Years I lived beside the river fourth in Scotland weather was seldom force 2.
    Recommended minimum Shp for the DD is 50 which is 1.58 times the flat calm requirement. Maximum recommended is 80 or 2.52 times flat calm SHP. 13Shp would maintain 6.05 in heavy weather. This does seem to be a bit on the low side in a gale. But as I said before I am unsure what is considered heavy weather.
    I know you can fit 750Imp/gal in an 18ton WW" MASB.

5. Mik the stick

rwatson
    I think you may be confused between a WW2 amphibious Duck and Diesel Duck. Now that's a concept I had not thought about, see what you've started.

6. Mik the stick

I have been researching exactly average wind conditions at sea might be. I read of a cargo vessel forced to heave to in force 7. My Beaufort scale shows red triangle warning flag for a force 6 wind. So I must conclude that is the start of heavy weather conditions and force four seems about right for average conditions. Both the Diesel Duck and my prospective design will therefore need every HP installed when caught in a force 8 Gale.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Where in Devon are you? I used to work as a shipwright in Totnes

8. Mik the stick

I live in a small village called Black Torrington the nearest port is Bideford. The nearest large town is Barnstable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.