ROUGH sea PROA Cruising, SHUNTING is the FUTURE... Balkan Shipyards

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rael dobkins, Nov 24, 2021.

1. rael dobkins

rael dobkins Dreams come True, But only to Dreamers...

PROA Black Sea SAILING, 2nd Episode. Off ROAD SHUNTING and ROUGH sailing, FREESTYLE Cruising and FUN for nothing.
    SHUNTERS are amazing, and the FUTURE.

Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards.

2. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Complicated...my only observation is that a tacker would be simpler...

3. rael dobkins

A tacker will cost double and will take twice the labour to build.
    Shunters are the most boat for the money, these are facts you can't argue with.
    Shunters are the strongest of multies, and the stablest of monos. Shunters have their drawbacks, yet they are minor compared with their advantages. Shunting changes the name of the game. A vessel that receives the wind from one and only side, has a wider rigging base and is twice as strong as a cat the same size, yet uses less material for it's construction, making it lightweight, fast, cheap and simple to build. shunting is the future!
    Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards.

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

I do not wish to begin a P------ Contest, but, a Priest in Occham showed us: Simple is best... William of Occham.

I have sailed in places where shunting a rig is or can be disastrous...

Any decent notion can be taken to its extremes...Imagine shunting in a narrow harbor ingress/egress channel...

Shunting has been a means of steerage longer than most imagine, yet it remains a novel means...

Me, love most shunters, but with boats, particularly sailing craft, practical must rule.

5. rael dobkins

Quality reply thanks.
    Shunters are for open water, if shunting up a narrow channel is the problem, then engines solve that problem.
    Out at sea, nothing beats them, close quarters they aren't great. If that is the debate you're right, though I shunt close quarters very well, yet a bigger and slower to shunt vessel may be impossible, I understand.
    Though, the same way I wouldn't take a Ferrari off road, I wouldn't Shunt up a channel. I'd rather wait for favourable conditions...
    Cruising is understanding the limits of your vessel before you left the dock. Those who fail to do so are usually the sorry ones.

Keep Shunting, it's the future....
    All d best, Balkan Shipyards

6. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Rael..., Dig! Open water is also key.

I have owned/sailed a number of rigs on which motors were not possible.

But. a smooth shunt has its points...Dig it, it is your way and warm too.

My latest, which languishes on a nearby farm (C-19 interfered with it) is an outrigger modeled on White's "Tacking Proa" and the venerable Malibu Outrigger (plans). Its 200 Sq Ft of new sail has been used only four times...but is a tacker of necessity here.

The boat is noted in my current avatar and some pics somewhere....

FWIW, a shunter would not work on local waters...open ocean, to me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    DogCavalry likes this.
  7. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Just occurred to me..."Proa" is "boat" not a process. Definition language, FWIW.

8. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

I have seen in the eighteens Mr Guy Delage manoeuvring a large Proa in a crowded harbour ( Brest Moulin Blanc Marina) like a little car !
    But it was a very experienced crew !

9. rael dobkins

It's possible but like you said takes experience. tacking is surely the easier way, yet shunters offer more for less... Since planet earth seems to be sinking into a "slight" depression... Since here in East Europe materials are rocketing sky high! Wood has doubled and even tripled in value, steel too, epoxy is catching up step by step... The Future is shunters, more boat for less material seems the way to go in this COVID planet of ours...

As for fast shunting, my Third Proa "Make O'Break" shunts fast, my next the HAVAYA 30/25 at 25 foot long designed for offshore sailing should shunt even faster, The Rig will be fine, it's tested and shunts in seconds, the lifting rudders are the question, will they work as planned? If they do I hope to shunt in seconds.... Say, about 15 seconds, I think it's possible, though until it works I can't promise anything...

Keep Shunting,
    Balkan Shipyards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.