Prototype-Video: Kite-Scooter to become fastest sail craft ever?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ingovoegler, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ingovoegler

ingovoegler kite sailor

Following video is of a home made prototype, which performance-wise is yet far away from the supposed potential. I believe, however, that by putting sufficient R&D into it, the concept (which, if only launch/retrieval systems for big enough kites were available, also could be scaled up and turn any motor yacht into a high performance sail craft) could be turned into the fastest sail craft ever, not in absolute terms challenging the Sailrockets speed record obviously, but among viable sail craft of similar size competing on a race course.

Video: Kite-Scooter

[​IMG]

Main reason for my certainly daring claim is the fact that sail/kite- and (hydro-)foil-generated forces in my kite-scooter are aligned, which leaves the sail craft completely free of sail induced heel, which actually is the main performance limiting factor of any conventional sailcraft (even incl. kite boards). This in turn allows for giant sail area (in my case 21sqm on a 35kg/2,80mx0,80m boat), limited only by the (hydro-)foils capacity rather than ballast and lever arm.
    The only other notable sail craft, as to my knowledge, to be free of sail induced heel, is the Vestas Sailrocket, which certainly supports my claim.

Very interested in opinions about my idea in general, its viability as a small pleasure sail craft and about my strong claim regarding its performance potential.

Ingo

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Well done, you have done really well to get to this stage.

The concept seems to have real merit. I suspect you have a ways to go, maybe including foils on the stern.

Keep up the news,

3. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

I always thought ice boats were the fasted sail craft. They are certainly keel-less. :D

4. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Congratulations on a successful demonstration prototype.

A real entrepreneurial effort.

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I watched the video, the design is brilliant! great concept to use a boom to control both the forward foil and the pull of the kite. I think a T-foil in the rear would really pick up the speed. Where are you located?

6. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

This seems to me that rare thing of a genuinely innovative proof of concept: To set up the dynamic, responsive relationship between the kite and the foil, including the control lines so simply is possibly on a par with the flexible mast foot for the windsurfer 40 years ago. Really well done.

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

It looks like the boat and rig are symmetrical so it can change tack, which would be a significant advance on the one-way SailRocket.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.