Rolling Gel coat on the hull bottom??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Gamble, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Gamble

Gamble New Member

I am in the process of re finishing a 19ft Shoalwater flats boat. A good friend of mine has helped me through re-finishing the topside and painting the hull sides.

Is it possible to roll gel coat over the existing old gel coat on the hull bottom? The area being gel coated is almost entirely flat except for about 1/3 in the bow. Here is a pic to give an idea of what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It looks like you have the capacity to spray. Use the clear aditive from Duratec with the gelcoat and it lays like enamel. It also promotes surface cure so it is not necessary to add wax.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Are you sure you want to use gelcoat? Two-part polyurethane paints (and even some new one-part ones) are easier to use and more durable, as well as looking nicer.
    If you do decide on gelcoat, the clear Duratec that Gonzo mentions does end up looking very nice.

4. Gamble

Gamble New Member

We don't have the correct gun to spray it with so we are really leaning toward rolling it on. I don't mind wet sanding hell I have wet sanded my fingers off on the black. Is rollng it going to be a problem? I have 1 gallon without wax and one with. Can I roll on a couple of coats without the wax the finish with the one with wax?

5. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

Porostiy, it will have little air bubbles in if you roll it on.

6. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

You don't need an expensive gun to shoot gelcoat. I have had excellent results from one that I got at Harbor Freight. Just as Gonzo said, I used Duratec and a fast lacquer thinner. Follow the instructions for Duratec, and you should get great results.