How do you know if your fiberglass is what it's claimed to be?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Jetboy, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Jetboy

Jetboy Senior Member

I've ordered about 5 rolls of various glasses from 3 different sources. One source's 12oz woven is heavier/thicker than another source's 18'z biaxial. Now I know they aren't apples to apples (I ordered different fabric from each), but also the 12oz is way heavier than the 10oz from another source. I'm thinking the 12oz I ordered is really more like 18-22oz fabric that was mislabeled?

Anyway, other than just knowing by having enough experience, is there a good way to identify fiberglass fabric other than cutting a square yard and weighing it? I don't have a scale that will accurately identify 10 v 12 oz fabric.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

3. Jetboy

Jetboy Senior Member

Thanks CDK. Unfortunately I don't have an accurate scale. I can probably find one though. The one fabric that seems way off on weight and thickness was from a chinese supplier. I suspect they just shipped a roll of "something" that kinda looked like fiberglass fabric. I only bought 50yds, so I'm not out much $, but I'm not going to use it on my boat.

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I have found with glass that the supplier is the key. Fiberglass Supply in WA state is pretty good with quality products.

I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer in the southeast USA, but that's because I ordered 18 rolls of 34oz and miles of tape. :)