old magazine cruiser plans?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jumpinjackflash, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jumpinjackflash

jumpinjackflash Junior Member

I remember reading about this heavy displacement (if I remember correctly) pocket cruiser in some magazine scans I had found online. I had saved them on my old computer but they're lost now.

if I remember correctly part of the article was about the couple that sailed it, and how they had a pull out drawer that housed their "galley."

I've found some of the sites I was looking through at that time but none of them seem to have the right boat

http://www.svensons.com/boats/

http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/sailboat-plans.html

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

you might google search the name if you remember it. or do an image search and see if you can find something that looks like it, and track it down from there.

4. jumpinjackflash

I don't think it was in a specific boat magazine, just one of those "popular whatever" ones

I can't remember the name of the boat specifically, but I think they built it in japan out of some exotic woods?

5. jumpinjackflash

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Hah! I'd been looking for this very article myself! Even just the other day ... I knew something seemed familiar about the galley you mentioned. I just couldn't remember the name of the boat.

Pretty thing ... though they might get a bit antsy if you tried that voyage today with no place to put poo save over the side....

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Excellent! I book marked it, I love these kinds of old plans. Looks actually like a decent design, if I was to build a modern one however I would consider up dating the keel/rudder to allow better pointing and perhaps less drag to improve distance made good.

I skimmed the article but could not find if it states who designed it. Do you know?

8. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This appears to be the Monk version of the Geary Vagabond design. It's been in the public domain for some time and hijacked, renamed and marketed as something else, but the construction drawing always gives it away.

I have a similar design both with the full length keel and modernized, divided appendages. I also offer 3 drafts in the various versions, a centerboard and two fixed fins.

JumpinJack, you haven't any idea what you need or want in a boat yet. I'll assume it's your age and/or experience level, but you need to get some experience first. This is easily accomplished by stopping by the local sailing club and asking if they need rail meat, which they always do. Depending on your skipper, unfortunately is just luck of the draw, you'll quickly gain practical understanding of how things work and begin developing, your ideas and wish list for the perfect yacht. With this and some boat building technique research, you'll be on your way.

10. ekxba

ekxba New Member

In the photo a Capri boat. Are there plans for a boat like this?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.