Rogue Waves

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Jul 23, 2004.

1. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Fixed link for above ... LINK.

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

3. brian eiland

....courtesy of Scuttlebutt
    Ever ponder what ship life might be like on an ocean crossing? These photographs were taken onboard lSELKIRK SETTLER, February 13, 1987, on an eastbound passage from Tampa, Florida to Ghent, Belgium with a load of phosphates. Note the height and wavelength, where the 730-foot long ship looks like she doesn't even take up half of the length of the trough. Details at www.boatnerd.com

Attached Files:

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Uh oh. I posted those a few days ago here...(#410-You have to go past the shark picture;) )
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11052&page=28
    The place I got them from said they were taken on Lake Superior last November. ???? I looked on the boatnerd site but couldn't find them. Where would they be? Sam

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Here are some old pictures showing the carrier Hornet and the first Queen Mary handling some rather large waves. Looks like the QM wave will reach the bridge. If I remember correctly, that's got to be about 75-80' above the waterline.

Attached Files:

7. harlemriverman

harlemriverman Senior Member

Rogue? Its probably just her temperment.

I was never so frightened as on Lake Ontario. 24' pocket cruiser skipping around on a placid fishing day. She came up sudden, eradic, extreme, and unforgiving. Beyond any coastal or sound waters I've experienced. It was all I could do to keep bobbing. We were tossed around like a beach ball. Absent malice and say a 16 lbs sledge hammer I never knew you break that many things on a boat.

Ontario is a puddle compared with Superior -- those sailors have all my respect. Everything is rogue.

8. brian eiland

Flexing Innards

Look at this video, submitted by one Charles Daniel from a commercial container ship to Military.com Entertainment, with the comment:
    'The seas I could deal with. Same goes for the pitching of the vessel. I don't know about those flexing passageways though...'

To view the video, click the link below:

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=164323&ESRC=dod.nl

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

So what's the problem?

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

we had a wave from the depths of hell hit us once,,was on a 85' lobsta boat,,dad screamed "hang on!",,we hit the deck,,the whole boat came out of the water,,after 3 rolls of toilet paper we all started laughing at each other fer screaming like little girls,,hehe ;)

11. safewalrus

It's only the one you don't come up from that is a worry, by then it's to late anyway!!

Apart from the fact that it teaches you how to stow yer gear properly before leaving port!!:D

12. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

13. safewalrus

Nice film! Mind you with that sort of weather coming up they should have got those aircraft below, the salt spray (and most of it is only spray, had it been solid water the cab would have moved) will have ruined the skin etc of all those aircradft - best bet would be to ditch em now! And that is kinda expensive!!

14. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I didn't know this:

"The possibility of the artificial stimulation of rogue wave phenomena, for use as a weapon or for other purposes, has attracted research funding from DARPA, an agency of the United States Department of Defense. Bahram Jalali and other researchers at UCLA studied microstructured optical fibers near the threshold of soliton supercontinuum generation and observed rogue wave phenomena. After modeling the effect, the researchers announced that they had successfully characterized the proper initial conditions for generating rogue waves in any medium."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave_(oceanography)#cite_note-10

Cheers.

15. safewalrus

Now that is frightening! How the hell do you control such a monster once released - or do you just pray?

Bit like gas in the first world war! not such a wnder weapon as they first thought!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.