Removable Mast stand on a deck or beam

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

In all my readings I have seen only two methods a removable mast sits on a deck or beam.

The one is a bolt through the bottom of the mast to keep it in place and it swivels up on the bolt where it is then kept in place by stays. This may be a pin to align to get the bolt through, the mast however once bolted can only go up.

The second way I saw was a ball like a tow hitch, the mast has a hollow in it and the ball sits in the hollow. This method seems easier to align initially, but the upward movement has to use the stays from the mast swinging sideways while going up.

Is there a better or easier way to attach a mast and winching it up ?

What would be the best mount method ?

There doesn't seem to be much information on this topic, however I think it is a bit important how the mast is connected to the boat. Assume the structure can carry the forces...

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Fanie
    Many "trailer sailors" have a different method for use on the @26' size boat. The alum. deck plate has a hook built into it that engages an alum insert at the bottom of the mast. Large boats especially the canal boats in England or Holland have a "Tabernacle" instead of a deck plate. This is an H frame that can stand 2 to 3 foot high. The mast is pined to this and pivots to allow the stick to be lowered or raised.

3. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I think I've sort of sorted it out, thanks guys.

The mast must be put in place by two guys. I don't want to fiddle with too far or too near or more up or more down.

As per the drawing I'll make a cradle the mast just pushes in to. The middle bolt of the lower 3 will stop the mast from being pushed in too far.

Also if the foot of the mast has two flat surfaces on the side it won't rotate.

You'd push the mast in to against the middle bolt, insert the left bolt, and you can winch the mast up.

Once up you insert the right hand bolt and the top one. The only reason for having 4 bolts is it would hopefully distribute the down force some. I have them as 3 x 32mm SS bolts and the centre bottom one is a 20mm.

The aft stays would then already be in place and with the winch it forms a triangle keeping the mast upright untill the sails which is the forestays is connected.

Attached Files:

• Mast.jpg
      Mast.jpg
      File size:
      40.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Fanie,

Don't forget to put hold downs from the bottom of the bolts through the deck to the keel, the mast also wants to lift the plate off the deck too.

6. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Its a cat, it will be on a beam.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks Landlubber, he he... it would be fun if that mast foot moves around eh :D

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Use a 'tabernacle'. Put your pivot about one and a half to two foot above the heel of the mast. A shroud either side to steady her, use a stay forward (that's the imprtant one!) Haul away until your mast is upright(ish) put another bolt in place at the bottom through the set hole or better still use a wedge (or two) to sit your mast on tighten up your shrouds and back stays if you have them and your off!

tabernacle can be either metal or wood - if its sat on the deck make sure theres a pillar (connected to the keel) underneath to support the downward thrust or one day you'll push your mast straight through the deck! With a good tabernacle you can vary the steeve of your mast but remember the strain on the forestay if off the vertical!

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Here are two examples. The Chinese one is massive, but the wooden Tabernacle is more typical of Dutch or English canal / river boats. If your boat is in the 26-27 foot range there are a couple of videos on Utube. Looks like an old Chrysler that show how to step a mast.

Attached Files:

10. safewalrus

Yep that's the idea Jer! Surprised you colonials (today Is after all Britains Thanksgiving Day ;) ) don't have tabernacles but even Chapelle ses that it appears that if you live above the bridge you don't own a sailboat!! Seems a loss to me but that's you colonials! Actually Chapelle mentions them in his boat building tome (we all own copies of course - we don't? shame on you! if a mere Limey can why can't you? but I digress) and whilst short gives a good account of them! I will admit a couple of his books, especially Small American Craft were lost when my spray replica sank under me (I was between wives so everything I owned was onboard) and I haven't had chance to replace them yet - new wife means I don't do anymore, I talk (and boy can he talk I hear you say)

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I know we answered Fanie's question, but I'm really excited. This morning I salvaged a Tabernacle off a 50' steel sailboat that burnt. I have a lousy camera in my phone, but you can get an idea of what I got. It's still in the back of my truck. It weighs about 30 pounds, all heavy stainless with teak covering to dress it up. The wood is charred, but easily replaced. Can't wait to bolt it on my Benny. No more worries about low bridges.

Attached Files:

12. safewalrus

now that Jer looks a nice bit of kit, will stand you in good stead. Take a reasonable stick too by the looks of it! Mind you it's a bit short for regular up and down, but hey it's a good bit of gear

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

In my neck of the woods I don't have to lower a mast to go under a canal bridge, but I might have to tilt it back to gain 5 foot to clear a low bridge on the intercoastal, and for those once a year light bulb changes or hanging a new antenna it will be very useful, and for free the price was right.

14. safewalrus

Sounds good to me!

15. Pylasteki

Pylasteki Junior Member

Hey...

Do you guys have any thoughts on chainplate extensions way on up above the deck so as to keep the mast in column and shrouds tight while tilting?

I'm thinking about building something like that.

Thanks,

Zach

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.