new build

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by thecopperdoc, Dec 14, 2006.

1. thecopperdoc

thecopperdoc Junior Member

I am building my own boat it is a 30foot steel yatch based on a van de staght zeeblonk and has a shallow draft fin keel with internal bearing and resin ballast.I have aquired a 38 foot fractional rig with boom and sail for her from a dufour 38

Anybody know about fractional rigs or any other views welcome??????

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Hello

You need to stick to the designers sailplan if you want the boat balanced. If they call for a masthead rig it should be easy enough to set up with your current spars. Alternatively you may need to set the mast fwd to compensate putting the new COE where the old one was.

What stage are you at?

cheers

3. thecopperdoc

thecopperdoc Junior Member

building stage

I have taken this over from someone else who has run out of time and money.The boat is weather sound and primered.There has never been a mast on it and hopefully i will be lifting the plans and other literature for it tommorrow.Theprevious guy bought the mast and boom and it is of a beneteau 34 but has of yet i havent seen it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.