Ro-Ro Ex Houston

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by RHP, Apr 24, 2014.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I don't really know where to post this request but does anyone have any contacts with the Ro-Ro companies that could ship a 31' yacht on a trailer from Houston to Singapore? Needs to be cheap! I've tried to contact lines via their websites to obtain quotes but none have replied! :D

Richard

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Guess it's over 8' (2.44 m) width so the whole lot won't fit inside a 40' container . . ? ?

If so, maybe is putting the boat + trailer on a 40' flat-rack container an option and have it shipped as top container . . ? ?
    [​IMG]
    ‘‘ Needs to be cheap! ’’ - Don't know how the price of flat-rack container shipping relates to Ro-Ro.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hi Angelique, the internal dimensions of a container with a inch or 2 on each side severely limit the beam to about 7' !

I shipped my grp 24' on a flat rack which worked out well however I didn't sleep well the whole voyage knowing that she was perched goodness knows how high up on one of the largest Maersk ships in their fleet.

As the boat I have in mind is wood, I'd prefer her to be safe out of the elements in a Ro-Ro however I'll be honest, the freight will make or break the deal.

Thanks your ideas.
    Richard

4. Angélique

Diagonal in a purpose built cradle provides more space for beam + keel depth and trunk cabin height . . :idea:
    RC44
    * - - ‘‘ . . . perched goodness knows how high up . . . ’’​

5. Angélique

Ro-Ro Boat Shipping from USA to UK it seems, but maybe they also quote or have info for shipping to Singapore . . ? ?

P.S.

Not cheap I guess, but if they ship from Houston to Singapore and their quote is worth to buy the boat than you can later look for a better deal.

Note Galveston near Houston is on their most popular ports list for Ro-Ro Boat Shipping from USA.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Many thanks Angelique and Rodrigo, I'll contact those companies later today.

Dreams cost nothing but freight rates can burst a dream in seconds!

Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.