Riverboat designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ruysg, May 2, 2012.

1. ruysg

ruysg Junior Member

Hi there,

I'm looking around for riverboat designs such as the mundoo:

http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/mundoo.php

The basic requirements are:

Sheltered waters - rivers, lakes and such.
    Sleeps 2 confortably, 4 squeezed in.
    Around 8-10m in length
    Cruising speed around 6kts

Anything you guys like out there?

Thanks

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look at Egress and Floom in my gallery . . . I have others as well.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. ruysg

ruysg Junior Member

Thanks a lot for the help. And Par, that's a gorgeous boat, I must say.

5. PAR

6. ruysg

ruysg Junior Member

They're both very nice, I can't really decide which one I like the most. Egress does seem with a bit more charm, being a bit smaller. I think maybe Floom it's just a bit too much boat for my needs. I guess I should stay closer to the 8m length than the 10m.

Keep up the good work.

7. PAR

Well there's a huge difference between 8 and 10 meters in regard to how much boat you get. The above illustrates this well.

8. Jetmech

Jetmech New Member

Great looking boat. Especially the Floom. I'd be interested to see the narrow beam layout. Have you looked at solar electric possibilities like the Mundoo III? How close could this boat get to that performance and how would this hull compare in rougher water to the flat bottom Mark V 39 or the Mundoo. Intended use is live aboard great loop cruiser. Very limited open water but will see some on that trip.
    Tom

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

As the client for whom PAR modified and finished the plans, I have to say I'm totally in love with the design for Egress (although domestic political considerations led to it being renamed Cindy Lou... guess what my wife's name is. :p)

I've been caught in a trap of escalating overtime out of town since Paul delivered the plans (which were a modification and completion of a job that a previous client abandoned), and haven't really had time to work on Cindy Lou lately. So far I've built the shop her hull will be assembled in, lofted her lines full-sized, and partially ordered the materials. At the rate I'm going, I may not be able to complete the build until after I retire in a couple of years. I was hoping to be able to sail it off into the wild blue yonder the day I stopped working. Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans....

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Troy, with all those windows and the area you live have you done any calcs for air conditioning and generator. Just curious as I just completed mine and can get by with a 3,000 Watt gen set. stan 5,000 btu AC.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Haven't done any actual calc's. But those windows are a lot smaller than they seem to be. Visually the boat gives the impression of being a big double-decker, when in reality it's a single-decker with about six and a half foot headroom between the waterline and cabin top.

I'm tentatively planning to go with something in the neighborhood of 4,000 watts for a generator. That should give me enough elbow room for an air conditioner plus unplanned loads....

12. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Troy,

You need to put your boat shop on a trailer and take it up to work with you. Then when you have 15 minutes, you could finish a step at a time.

wayne

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I seriously thought about setting up to build here, instead of at home. But I work 12-hour shifts. By the time I shower and shave, cook and eat, sleep, go grocery shopping, drive to work and back, etc., that's about what I have left in a day: 15 minutes. The reason I find time to talk on this forum is because one of the nine screens I sit in front of at work has internet on it....

What I need is to get off this cycle of unending overtime shifts, and back to a normal life. But the company doesn't seem to be in any hurry to deal with our manpower shortage... I know the theory is that I should be happy for the opportunity to make hay while the sun shines, but this is getting ridiculous.

14. PAR

Some quick, in my head math suggest 9k to 10k, BTU's will cool the interior of Cindy Lou. This assumes a fairly tight cabin with a good R value for the ambient conditions. This means a generator that can take a 15 - 18 amp (240 VAC) surge at startup, which will drop to 7 - 10 amps after a few minutes. This includes the compressor, condenser and evaporator fans, plus controls and low voltage side. My recommendation would be a 2 ton unit if well insulated, a 2.5 ton if this is marginal.

15. Jenny Giles

Jenny Giles Perpetual Student

What kind of insulation is used in the boat, and is there any way to improve it without spending a fortune?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.