River Roller! Pontoon Boat that Rolls Across the Water!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Matthew Lee Towne, May 10, 2017.

?

Do you think the River Roller will work?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    82.9%
  3. Maybe

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I hope I am wrong but my own 'guess' is that the 'TransToon' propulsion system will be subject to aeration plus the 'Bernoulli effect'. As the roller speed increases the 'vessel' will settle until the actual hull is immersed, all the while remaining relatively stationary and stirring up the water in grand fashion.

2. Matthew Lee Towne

Matthew Lee Towne Senior Member

Theres so much wrong with what you have stated here I don't know where to begin. Lets just say this. It will dig a hole until it doesn't. That being said my original concept will work. That aside, I believe that a tapered approach will minimize the digging a hole problem. Not that the problem actually exists.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Looks like someone beat you to it

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

4:20 of this youtube

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Crane Boat on the Intracoastal Waterways in Texas USA.jpg

‘‘ It is a Boat or a Crane ? - This is something one doesn't see every day. It is not exactly a boat, but it is floating and moving on it's own power. The tracks are turning for steerage and the shovel is being used to push it forward. Seen on the Intracoastal waterways in Texas. ’’

It seems the floats are inside the tracks.

6. Angélique

To the disappointment of the OP I'll guess, but it seems to me that at the start and end of the vid a prop can be seen spun by the tractor's PTO, the wheels do act as floats though . . ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. Angélique

8. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

Just over a year ago I made this challenge to the OP and I quote the post in full:

Hello All, I have a challenge for all of you. This challenge is based on a positivity. If you all were tasked with making the River Roller work as a useful water craft what would your contributions be? Assume it will be built and your reputation is on the line. Anyone up for helping instead of hindering?

MLT, you gave a challenge and asked for contributions:
    Put a curved deflector just above the waterline behind each trantoon to deflect water downwards and backwards to increase efficiency.
    Include discs on the edge of each trantoon to avoid wasted energy pushing water sideways, or add a flat plate along each side extending down to the draught of the paddles to do the same job.
    Make the most of your printer by including drive pulley or gear on the end of each trantoon.

I have a challenge for you - You are an *********** ****** who will not be able to make a working prototype, demonstrated by link to a YT video, within one year from now. It must be faster than a displacement boat of the same all up weight, same overall length and same power input. If you can I will publicly apologise right here.

EDIT: 12 hours later I kind of regret the bad words so apologies to MLT for that and thanks to the moderator for censoring.

June 16 2018, I arrest my case.

9. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Is this a victory of some kind for you Alan?
    Anything else accomplished this year Alan or is this about it?
    They have a word for it in German I believe...
    Angelique... please...

10. Angélique

German: Schadenfreude ~ Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune. - German: Schadenfreude, from Schaden = ‘harm’ + Freude = ‘joy’.

English: gloating ~ dwelling on one's own success and/or another's misfortune with smugness (or malignant pleasure).

P.S. - see also post #299

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  11. Angélique

At least the smart part was discussing it first before building the thing, we might see it once on YouTube though, if so then I'll guess it'll go in the water like the Honda quad with the double wheels in post #292.

12. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

In the first two pages, the OP called current boats "sad"; asked the forum to "do its worst" with criticism; and said "it's going to be really fun to prove most of you wrong."

Given the OP's appalling lack of humility and manners, Alan's response appears to me to be very restrained. The OP clearly didn't have significant understanding of a field and claimed that he was smarter than everyone in it.

rwatson likes this.
  13. Angélique

Yes, Matthew certainly lacked manners, and liked to disparage everyone who took the trouble to answer him, as experts in the field to their best knowledge with the truth, when this didn't match what he wanted to hear in the first place.

Alas it's of all times that this happens to the best, and especially so when the asked for advice is given for free, I've posted an example* from another field when this came up in a thread which has it as a topic in it's title...

Thread: Amateur design insulting to pros ? ---> * post #94

rwatson likes this.
  14. Angélique

BTW, just for clarity, post #295 presents the in post #294 asked for German word, and doesn't represent my personal opinion about post #293, which I think is just posting the status quo more than a year after the OP posted a challenge to the forum members in post #137, and also amply after the end date of the in post #145 posted reply with a contra challenge to the OP.

I'm sure Alan also would have kept his word if the contra challenge was met, hence he still knew the date.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018

15. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

Bluebell, yes I'm being smug. I found the OP extremely offensive and dismissive of virtually all good advice, although he did acknowledge my suggestion in the post copied. And he told us he was going to build a model.
    Accomplished? I've rowed my own built own designed skin-on-teak skiff down the river Thames. I left my own built own design electric outboard and controller at home as I didn't expect the solar panel bought would give autonomy from shore power. Ok, not a very big accomplishment I guess.
    As for apologising, I would have been pleased to have to apologise; it would have meant the OP had made the effort. Even if he had failed he would have won some praise for trying and would probably have learnt something.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.