River Queen Bow Modification

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Gents, the River Queen is a steel houseboat with a semi-displacement (?) bow/hull, and while they have been out where they shouldn't be (gulf) would a higher bow maybe extending it forward and up higher help with rougher water? They range from about 36 to 48' I believe. Sorry I can't post pics...

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A River Queen exposed to gulf weather and water conditions is sure to rattle the dishes no matter what kind of bow she has. A lot of bow overhang might help keep things a little drier but the dishes will still rattle.

3. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

LOL. so you're saying the rest of the struture won't take it? Or would paper plates solve the problem?

The hull looked sound but the bow is too low....and the sides?

It's alot of room for the $$....as a Looper....

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I have no idea about the adequacy of the structure, it may or may not be adequate.

Houseboats are usually designed such that maximum interior space and minimum draft are the aim. The hull is therefore box like which is not the best shape for rough water comfort. Houseboats also tend to have high, slab sided, superstructures that behave badly in windy conditions that are frequent in coastal regions..

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I wonder if anyone has ever modified a houseboat? Would leeboards help it stay on course at low speeds? Must be like a heavy, or very heavy Sharpie. The ability to get up to the beach is a big plus and so is the room. Weather would be more of an issue, the Great Loop is the intended use. The big draw back is that it's not too road worthy or easily transported.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.