River motor cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cap'nCapsize, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Cap'nCapsize

Cap'nCapsize New Member

G'day, I've been looking for a river boat for a couple of years. Ideally I'd just like to buy one but have been unsuccessful in finding anything close to what I'm after. My last (larger) boat was a Sonata 26, an excellent craft & had many great points I'd like to retain, about 5 things I'd really love to fix :)

Things I'd like to keep:
    - We have many interesting waterways on the eastern seaboard (of Austraila) so trailering is a must, the max width here is 2500mm or 8'2". The Sonata was a cow to get on a trailer straight!
    - I'm a sailor & like the yacht (sailboat) style interior. I'm looking for a cruising boat I could stay on for a number of weeks.
    - Weight is an issue, you have to push & pull trailerable boats to get them on & off. Bare hull < 1000kg I think is reasonable (the sonata was 1300kg with 560kg of centreboard ballast, which won't be needed in a motor cruiser.)
    - Shallow draft, the Sonata was 9" which was fabulous. We have many skinny waterways & being able to step off into ankle deep water reduces the need for a dingy.
    - The poptop design. Low windage to tow & in a blow. Excellent ventilation, headroom, light & view at anchor.

Things I'd like to lose:
    - Slamming into chop. The sonata is a true sharpie, flat bottomed all the way to the stem :(
    - Direction less at low speeds. Maneuvering at low speeds in tight spaces with a cross wind was impossible. The only solution? come in backwards! Rocker fore & aft, no keel or skeg, centreboard up. She was a motored kayak! To be honest I'd like a twin engine (outboard) job, legs kick up out of the way for shallow anchorage. If one dies come home on the other. excellent maneuverability.
    - Sails, if I want to sail I'll tow the skiff :)

Things I'd like to gain
    - An under cockpit dbl berth. Excellent use of space I think.
    - Ease of getting on to a trailer. The best way to achieve this I think is a straight sheer (like powerboats) & vertical rollers on the end of the trailer.

LOA is not critical, 7.5M or 24' would be a minimum. I'm after something along the lines of a vee bow sharpie. Hull speed is fine, I'm here to relax & enjoy the journey. :)

That'll do for a start, I'm hoping someone can suggest something I haven't seen yet. The best I've found is bluejacket boats & they're a long way off. Look forward to your suggestions.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Cap,n I sent you a private email.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.