River Fishin' boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NjyDvr, Dec 4, 2015.

1. NjyDvr

NjyDvr Junior Member

So after contemplating on that Glen-L River Rat I think it'll do fine... especially for my first build. Does the Glen-L plans specify what kind of aluminum to use? I had intended on using 5086 for the hull, 5052 for topside stuff, and 6061 for the structural items.

Think 6061 is necessary for this kind of project? I'll primarily only be in fresh water, however there are many brackish locations... which makes me super cautious thinking of 6061.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A rough BOM is available at Glen-L for the aluminum version, though alloy types aren't listed, the plans will surely tell you what's necessary.

3. NjyDvr

NjyDvr Junior Member

Awesome. If not I saw they have technical advisors that can help out. Thanks a lot PAR. It'll be a few months before i start the build, but when i do ill be sure to log the progress on here.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Their "technical advisors" aren't what you might hope. They don't know design and not a lot about construction, but do know a little about each design, so they can perform the FAQ routine for anyone that might call or email. I'll bet each has a book of appropriate replies to common questions. This said, they do have a discussion forum that has many builders, some may have built your model and can help with the decisions you'll similarly face.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.