River dory: putting it all together.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Nov 10, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

OK, maybe this isn't an entirely new thread, but I thought it would make more sense to start a fresh thread than to tack this on the my pervious thread, since it's been a while.
    I downloaded Prosurf3 (demo) so I could design a round bottom boat, since that was the direction I was headed. Still learning it's quirks, but I managed to come up with something pretty close to what I wanted.
    I tried to incorporate some of your suggestions, added my own personal thoughts and prejudices, worked around my CAD shortcommings, etc.
    I tried to add more flare, as someone suggested, but I wanted to keep the bottom wide and flat enough to maintain shallow draft and a lot of flare just didn't work with this. Yes, it looks like a wide canoe. If you took an Old Town Tripper, increased it's length, more than doubled it's width and added more rocker, you'd end up with a boat pretty similar to this. But I don't think that is a bad thing, I think that is a good thing. I think a canoe is a better starting point for a river dory design than a Banks Dory.

Attached Files:

2. garren

garren Junior Member

That's looking very nice. I like it. I'm focusing on a bateau design now for the Yellowstone. Doing some drawing/lofting now.

What are your dimensions? Looks like not much rocker? When will plans be available?!?

Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.