River cruising is safe... right?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cac, Oct 17, 2006.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Steam Freak - many thanks for your input, your knowledge is astounding! As I was saying any monkey can be taught to steer a ship (Unless of course he is scandinavian where the name of the mate (Chief Officer to you SF) is 'Steersman' but thats different and harks back to the old days of Viking longboats where to be a 'steersman' took some skill!

Actually in some parts of the world they train monkeys to be third mates - you got to start somewhere!

Only ten years to get a drivers job! phew that's quick (see above)

by your comments and name I guess your one of those oily chaps, and as we know oil and water don't mix!:p

Hey longliner just fishing man - seems I got me a good one!:D :D

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

when I was a fisherman we used the shipping lane as the white line in the road ,,,,southbound traffic stayed inland and northbound stayed outward ,,,,,,,nobody used the lane itself ,that was the buffer zone,,,,,,,,,also there are rules not followed by ether,,fihingboats with gear in the water have right of way ,, many times my gear was cut,,,boats undersail ,,always had rightofway ,,but let me ask ,,how many times have you had to move or be flattened by a supertanker , on autopilot?nobodys perfect,,,,exept my wife,, were all in this together ,,a little give and take...longliner,,,by the way steamy,,I like the color blue in that boat ,,I believe it to be fantaisa blue ,,the same color of my sailboat,,,,,a long story but looks ok now

3. safewalrus

Well longliner that's amazing that's two perfect people I know of - your wife and my wife can we handle this knowledge?

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

unlike two ships passing in the dark,,,its more like ,,someone knocking my lights out in the dark,,hope they dont find me floating somewhere ,,remember its still a boat thread,,,,,,longliner

5. safewalrus

Splash, splash eh Longliner!

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Raft down the MSPI River

Yes,this is because unless rafts get ripped to bits and the floatation comes off (yeah,this could hapen but please,stick to my point,it is logical,right?)They simply dont sink if they have been pre-tested for floatation,so it is safer to go down the missisipi in a raft than a boat.

7. safewalrus

d j wick ed yeah! :eek: by your reasoning because a bicycle is narrow and easily ridden, unless you run over it in a lorry,( :p ) it is safer to go down a motorway on a bicycle than in a car! :confused: To use a modern limey/brit expression "I don fink so!":D :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.