river boat ( adventure? )

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Liighthead, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

but one thing i would like todo, is take it up to the murray ( nan n pops place )
    beauitful up their, if could find a job up their would move up their haha..
    but yeah guess 10 n half foot one will work :)

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

yeah pop lives up near mildura, atm living near echuca, and might be moving back down past melbourne haha

but spent most my childhood up on the river :)

haha thatll be one hell of a adventure.. go from echuca up to mildura ( well its down stream )
    any way to work out about how much river their is between robinvale/boundrybend to echuca ? xD found it haha its about 800kms

haha would take about 28 days, doing 6 hours at 5kms/h a day sounds like a good month haha

wonder if itll make it haha, whats your thoughts? do some testing before..

4. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

what about a canoe, even though a skiff would be perfect for fishing ect.
    wanting to go on a canoe/kayak trip down the murray sometime, would make it even more crazy if i built the canoe haha,

around 10ft long, something like this one i guess?
    [​IMG]

? :)

thinking about 8ft x 1ft x 2ft ( L x H x D )

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

You appear to be going around in circles. ;) For you to stand up, the boat must have a decent beam, otherwise you'll likely capsize. Skiff, skiff, skiff. Commercial inshore fishermen build and use them for a reason. They wish to return home safely.

Have a look at an English version, known as the Poole canoe; also called a floorboard boat for obvious reasons.

http://intheboatshed.net/2009/12/26/poole-canoes-the-motorised-skiffs-of-poole-harbour/

Regards.

6. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

mmmmm pretty set on a skiff haha... might as well :eek:

thing about the skiff, is the size ( even 8ft one ) requires a motor or 2 ores, instead of 1 double ended paddle lol.
    and the weight when moving it around, most likley be walking it ( on a small home made trailer ) down to the beach.. and when goto river be on back of a trailer..

but yeah skiff would work well if had a motor xD

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Heres a canoe with stand up capability

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Nice idea.

9. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

yeah if i had the money i would buy something like those pro anglers,
    but their like 2 or 3 grand ... so bit out of price range.. though would be nice and might try save up haha. will see as time goes by i guess bday and xmas are comming up someday haha

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/fishing/boats/pro-angler/

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I dont think those 'tail fins' would be al that hard to adapt into an existing canoe design, espcecially if it was flat bottomed.

11. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

yeah im sure they wouldnt be hard, but was watching videos of people fishing from them and they seam really stable lol, havnt really canoed much proably better for a "adventure/trip" to go in a canoe, but a kayak i would use more arfter the trip, and could fit everything ( i think ) on the kayak anyway will have to double check though haha

12. KJL38

KJL38 Senior Member

double paddle canoe

How about a double paddle canoe which is like a kayak without the deck. There is a free design at http://flo-mo.weebly.com/one-sheet-boats.html which can be made from a single sheet of plywood. with a canoe very little force is transferred to the hull so for flat water use you might get away with 3mm ply making a very lightweight boat to get too and from the water.

Further down the same page is a double ended rowboat that is under eight feet long so would fit in the back of some utes.

On this page http://flo-mo.weebly.com/two-sheet-boats.html are a couple of longer double ended rowing boats. I have an Adirondack Guideboat which is similar and ideal for camping with one or two people with room for an esky etc. The only disadvantage is getting it to and from the water would be harder than the canoe.

None of these boats are suited to standing but you may be able to alter the rowing boats with a transom to take an electric motor. These hulls are very easily driven so you only need a small motor plus you get a long battery life.

13. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

thanks nice link had a read of it and a link to a forum " woodenboat.net"
    i like the idea of making a 1/10th scale model of the boat, might give that a try :)
    something like this would be nice to row around in ect
    [​IMG]

was also looking at the "micro auray punt" from http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/ossauray/auray_u.htm
    [​IMG]
    just a bit wider :)

but i like scale stuff so might give it a go making a few different designs and see which one would be better ect,

and yeah a light, small boat would be ideal, i can get a small electric motor/gear at cost price so keep costs down and yeah doesnt use as much power to get further

14. Telein

Telein Junior Member

Hey Liighthead, I like your style. No nonsense just get it done.

It seems you are doing great having fun and educating yourself at the same time. Like everyone else though I'm going to toss another dory at you.

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_boot.php

Free plans, a couple sheets of ply bit of framing and your good to go. Working on something else right now but the kids and I are going to build one of these this winter, should be good fun.

15. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

i do like the dory, but rather a skiff over it, :)
    also like the flat front punts, just a personal thing haha
    but yeah still not really sure

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.