Now, here's a lovely bit of conspiracy theory...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Rurudyne, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

While I will flatly state that I prefer the recently proposed theory that the iceberg that doomed Titanic was hidden by a cold water mirage experienced near the boundary of the Labrador Current because it manages to nicely deal with the given testimony of passengers, who can hardly be supposed to have been involved in any cover up, I still found this video, http://youtu.be/n_d_GEy8lr0 , well made and even reasonable sounding in it's attempt to present evidence that Titanic and Olympic had been swapped in an insurance scam ... though of course it would be utterly bonkers to believe dramatizations of conversations which there are no witnesses to ... and yet the "documentary" in question is rife with them.

To summarize: Olympic was badly compromised in a collision and might have had to been written off but instead went on to a further 25 years of service while Titanic was insured for 2.5 million more than her cost. And California is claimed to have been empty save for a shipment of sweaters....

Still, this was a new theory to me. Has anyone heard of it before and have real criticism of it? I'm gonna go eat burritos now....

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm reasonably convinced the "iceberg" was only hidden buy the quantity of rum the watch crew employed to stay warm that night. It's very probable they fell asleep, were reading a book or had a 3rd class passenger distracting them from a ridiculously dull and boring job, particularly in freezing weather. These Atlantic runs had become so routine, they thought of themselves as invincible and complacency was the norm, not an exception on watch.

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

So the bridge crew suicides ramming ship into glacier so someone else can claim insurance money? Seems implausible to me. Are they crazy?

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I found it interesting that their allegations about California, that white rocket vs colored rocket bit aside, got so little attention. It would logically be the biggest weakness, or strength, in the whole conspiracy theory. If they have documentation to show she went out basically empty save for an oddly convenient cargo of sweaters I would think that should have got more attention that it did, as documentation, at least by dramatically showing bits of documents Ken Burns style. I say this because it would be the clearest evidence of intent before any subsequent cover up. As it stands it's just a claim made that could all too easily have been them repeating some rumor, and quite probably is.

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I would say a conspiracy of that size would need many people involved, not likely it could have been kept a secret for very long. and certainly not after all of the important people on board died.

Here are your two scenarios: 1) massive conspiracy requiring lots of people and resourse to be involved in the switch and coverup, no physical evidence, and no one involved comes forward to tell of the fraud that causes so many deaths. or 2) overconfident and complacent crew showing off to attempt to make a speed record crossing, screw up and strike an ice burg.

the first is not even rational nor plausible. There is an old saying: never attribute to conspiracy which can be explained by stupidity.

7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

For the Titanic sinking to be a conspiracy, wouldn't you have to organise a bloody big iceberg at the right place at the right time?

Poida

8. kalibore

kalibore New Member

interesting

9. kalibore

kalibore New Member

Oh with regard to paid off crew...

officers and some crew got off the boat on the lifeboats. So could have been behind the 'accident'.

Gotta remember in those days thousands of people could have eventually been aware, but how do they tell the world? The internet? Nope.

Guess who owned the major media outlet..New York times..

Yup Morgan!

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Wow, the market for conspiracy theories is always buoyant ! Unlike the Titanic, which ran out of said buoyancy. It takes a certain mentality to buy into theories that involve large numbers of people all staying "mum" forever, especially about something that killed a lot of innocent people. That is not a very hopeful view of humanity.

11. kalibore

kalibore New Member

Personally I'm of the view that if a lot of innocent people were tragically killed, it should be thoroughly looked into, not discounted.

Maybe those that are quick to call others 'theorists' don't actually know the facts themselves. Some of which included JP Morgan cancelling his trip last minute - the major banker and owner of the boat. Not only was he in reciept of a massive insurance payout, way in excess of what the boat cost (it was labelled unsinkable), he was also very much pro the shift to a new interest based fiat banking system in the US that was implemented after this incident. The fiat interest based (private not state owned) banking system was also illegal in the UK at the same time and it was installed during the period of the world war.

A lot of the guests went from the very rich elites to the most powerful or influencial bankers in the world at the time. Many of which were opposed to the new greenback currency idea and fiat banking system on the table. A privately owned company (Morgan and co) owning the countries' currency..not the state! The important passengers in question were mainly male and all left behind and died as there were not enough boats for them as the protocol was woman and children first. The ship had only enough boats for a little over half the passengers.

Actually if you look beneath the surface this incident not only made J P Morgan and co some of the most powerful and rich men on the planet, this was the catalyst in turning the US into a private fiat banking system, taking the power away from the tax payers and putting it directly into the hands of private companies (federal reserve - where the government gets it's money from) - something that is well documented and would not have happened (at least in this era) had the very influential individuals aboard that ship died. Also it is well documented that the ship was off course when it hit the ice. As in so much so it was deliberate.

To be fair there are plenty of very very concise documentaries with FAR more and very accurate detail on this topic. Watch the latest 'Titanic' movie again..listen to the conversaions in the background amongst the 'rich'. James Cameron knew about this stuff with the bankers.

Anyway, I'm just repeating some interesting stuff I saw on the topic. I'm not saying I believe it or not but sure there are conspiracy theorists, maybe you are a coincidence theorist.

Facts are facts I suppose. Or are they? :p

12. kalibore

kalibore New Member

'It takes a certain mentality to buy into theories' - Everything is a theory until it is proven factual.

It also takes a certain mentality to believe everything at face value.

13. Mr Efficiency

Please don't crop my sentence to remove the part that qualifies what you quoted. It apparently wasn't enough to sink a boat that contained the opposition to a plot to change the monetary system, there is the sub-plot of an insurance fraud ? And no-one ever spoke a word about it ? What bought their silence ? Even though it was murder writ large ? As I say, a dismal view of the human race.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is the most investigated nautical incident in history, so lots of nut jobs have conjured up their versions of ridiculousness to quantify their positions. No one intentionally ran the boat into an iceberg, to promote their agenda. History like this would eventually leak and the crap, would have long ago hit the fan. The rest of the "theories" are easily disproven too. We know the spiral of events, that lead to her inescapable and ultimately inevitable fate. We even understand what happen below the water.

15. Mr Efficiency

The MH370 plane disappearance is spawning all sorts of weird theories, the latest I saw has some deep significance being attached to there being two people travelling separately on Ukrainian passports, which is deemed to be an unbelievable co-incidence considering the fate of the other Malaysian 777 over Ukraine. If you look hard enough you can find flimsy support for just about anything.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.