Rinning Rigging Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mcollins07, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

I am currently designing the running rigging for a 37' Ketch center cockpit for cruising. I have some experience sailing, but not really enough to be designing the running rigging systems, so I hope to gain some insight from the vast experience I've seen on this forum.

The boat’s Mainsail Area is 250 sq ft, foretriangle sail Area 382 sq ft, Mizzen of 92 sq ft. The Draft is 4.5', Beam 11.5'. A spinnaker sail area of 1500 sq. ft is expected. More Dimensions (not measured): I=48.0, P=40.0, J=17.6, E=12.9,

The main sheets will be attached at the end of the boom, with block loads of about 2000 lbs. The main sheet traveler track is to be located at back of a center cockpit. Currently has 2 Lewmar 40 two speed winches on each side of cockpit and these are high off the deck. A third smaller winch at cockpit, and 2 Lewmar 7 single speed on main mast and one on mizzen mast. None of the winches are self tailing.

The main mast has flat internal sail groove, single spreaders, pair of backstays. Main mast is configured for two internal halyards brought out of holes without blocks or plates. There are no blocks at base of mast. Mizzen mast is round grooved. Both booms are grooved. The Genoa is to be a roller reefing system of some type. Expected block loads on Genoa sheets of 3500 lbs. I want to add a removable jib stay to make for a cutter rig at times. I prefer it to be club footed cutter for self tacking.

I am trying to decide on many issues related to the running rigging. For expample:
    the purchase for the main sheets and blocks,
    the track size for the main sheet traveler (1" or 1.25"),
    how to configure the traveler system for the main sheets,
    the purchase and configuration for a boom vang,
    configuration of the Cunningham,
    configuration of the main sail reefing system,
    attachments for main boom such as bails or padeyes,
    the size, length, position of mast track for a spinnaker pole,
    track size and location for jib sheets and spinnaker,
    type and number of sheet blocks for tracks,
    how to configure removable stay and sheets for cutter rig,
    etc.

I have not set a budget, but this is not a high end boat. Trying to stay relatively low budget.

What things would you say to consider when designing the running rigging?
    Do you know of example deck plans for various rigging configurations? Reference materials and discussions of the alternatives for running rigging configurations? Any methodology suggested? Any guidelines to keep a balance between overall performance and budget? What would your preferences be for this low budget cruising boat (Irwin 37' CC Ketch)?

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Go to Harken.com and use the Compuspec program. You may have to add your boat to the database. Various solutions to all the questions you have asked are available from Harken also.

Right off the bat, the Lewmar 40's are marginal at best as primary winches on a 37' boot.

If you are on a budget, consider not having a traveller. Deck blocks on either side of the combing and end boom sheeting will handle the main boom just fine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.