rigging

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schoonner, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I can't find good resources that are advanced enough to tell me how to rig a self furling sail. Is there supposed to be a spring or something involved?

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Dont know. A spring would need a "Pawl" to keep the sail open then a trigger mechanism to furl. Might be complex on a model. Perhaps a mini electric servo motor pulling the sheet to open then a spring to furl. an alloy or plastic tube that is burried into the luff of the sail would allow rotation

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

yeesh! I think I might need a 10 channel radio. LOL!

4. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

A sloop without spinnaker has almost 20 lines to control the sails.
    Are you sure 10 channels will be enough:?::(
    :D

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

All the manufacturers have the technical data on their websites.

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

DOH!!! I can't get to the websites for the k800. Should I try a different boat?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you looking for a boat or a furler? Furler manufacturers publish their technical data, which includes exploded views and diagrams. What can't you get?

8. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

That might be helpful. I want to build a 3ft 1/8th scale K800 R/C boat since I can't have a boat larger than that on my rental space without igniting the wrath of the property owners and I will not need a trailer for it. It will be perfect for the pond at my RV park. I have most of the stuff I think I will need already for a project of that size and have already started cutting the first frames from pine. (It's kinda exciting!) I will probably be making an expensive radio made from parts of other radios I have lying around. Who knows, I might even be able to sell it for a couple hundred if I get tired of playing with it. I already have a 1920's schooner that I made from a wooden model boat that was not even meant to float.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT:: I don't really think I need marine plywood for her, just fiberglass inside and out like a sandwich.

EDIT2:: It is actually only a little like the original plans, and does really well even without a drop keel since the rubbing strake is enlarged to displace more water if it heels too far and I drilled the keel and poured molten lead into the holes. It likes 10 to 15 mph winds the best.

EDIT3:: It went through a lot of testing where if my modification didn't improve handling, it was ripped apart and redone.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I'm running into difficulty with the scale. I based everything off the wrong measurements when I started because I only have so much wood to work with and now I don't know how to get the scale right from stem to stern and I have already started frames.

EDIT:: Lots different from working from a kit!!

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The length to beam ratio will be the same. You need a calculator. You have the beam from the midship frame, right?

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

ahh that will probably workn! thanks!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.