Mast rasing system - need some ideas

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Jetboy, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Jetboy

Jetboy Senior Member

So, I've got an 18' trimaran that uses a Nacra 5.2 mast - for now. I also have a Solcat mast that has a slightly different base.

I'd like to stick with the Nacra mast because it's lighter and already setup for the boat.

The problem I have is that the mast is designed to be oriented sideways before it's rasied. And then rotated to the proper orientation once up. It's mast base sits on a ball like the picture below. I've got a set of lower shrouds that are positioned directly to the sides and work great with a gin pole of sorts to raise the mast. Going up is OK. I can fix the bottom and use the trailer winch to crank it up.
    Dropping the mast is another story. I cannot figure out how to setup some type of system that causes allows the mast to rotate as it comes down so it won't bind on the ball / mast base interface. With two people it's easy, but I'm not sure how it would be done solo. Any ideas of a mechanism that works well for this type of mast?
    [img width="200" height="200"]http://i.imgur.com/WSSpmMI.jpg[/IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A short arm attached to the mast that has a line tied to the side of the boat will keep the mast rotated sideways.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is typical. A shoe could be fitted, that gets pulled once up, but most simply hoist as permitted with a gin pole or as Gonzo suggested, often with just the boom.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.