Rigging a 21' daysailer as row boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Here as a typical example, but could be either fixed keel, swing or center board, or could be something like a Hunter 17 up to a MacGregor X or M 26.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/447615452.html

I liked sculling in a Maas 21' single with sliding seat, so I was wondering if anyone has ever rigged a sail boat as a row boat, either fixed or sliding seat?

I'd be interested in the standing rowing position as well, as I've seen used by dory fishermen. This appears to be a forward facing system, with the power stroke of the oars a push from the chest as opposed to the conventional pull.

How about a stern mounted single scull on a day sailor for 'getting in and out of the harbor' as the oars need lots of space on the sides. I'm thinking of a 'scull' with a working surface of about 1' by 2' that would temporarily replace the rudder that would have a handle that could be effectively worked by one OR more persons either sitting on either side of the cockpit or standing in the well.

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

A fixed keel of any size would not be particularly appropriate for rowing; the less wetted surface the better. Of course, practically anything can be moved around on the water with oars or sculls if there is no wind or current to contend with. I believe there are still many places in the world where human powered boats of considerable size are the norm.

3. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Looks like a pain in the *** to me.

4. Ikenzu

Ikenzu Junior Member

Is there a reason you prefer to use a sailboat over a large dory?

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Ikenzu, just that I'd rather have a sailboat most of the time

but I like to row. Plus, there are quite a few un-used sailboat hulls around that would need lots of cash for new, odd-ball sails and other gear, but that would make a nice rowboat.

I've seen a few rigged as fishing/utility boats with gas or electric outboards.

6. Ikenzu

Ikenzu Junior Member

Here is the thing- most people will tell you that a sailboat hull, given the keel, is going to be a pig in the water as a rowboat. I would go the route of turning an old dory into a sailboat- that way you have a boat that was designed to be rowed that can also be retrofitted with a sail.
    If you go over to the Spaulding Wooden Boat Center in Sausalito, they have just such a boat- it is beautiful, donated by some local wooden boat builders and can even be rented for an afternoon if you make a donation. It is smaller than what you are looking for but may give you some inspiration.

7. Ikenzu

Ikenzu Junior Member

Here is an old photo I found on Google of a sailing dory up in the Yukon in 1900.

Attached Files:

8. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

rowing conversion

I set up my sunfish sailboard with raised oarlocks a few years back. A total waste of time. The waterline was about 6' long and all it did was try to go in circles and I couldn't get any speed out of it. Too much rocker in the bottom to row well, meant to be sailed heeled and pick up waterline length that way. Some small sailing dinghys work out OK. My brother is using one a tender for his lobster boat and it rows quite well. Hull shape is important. look for one that keeps its hull in the water at rest.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I would suspect the hull form of the sailboat would be the major determining factor for a reasonable sail/pulling boat.The planning dinghies wouldn't be particularly well suited, so skip them. Deep bellied craft, especially if fixed appendages are attached would also be undesirable. Displacement mode sailers with retractable appendages (center/daggerboards or leeboards) and unballasted would be the preferred hull shapes, especially those with drawn out, narrow waterlines, balanced ends and gentle rocker.

In other words an easily motivated hull shape, with a simple, low aspect rig.

10. Claus Riepe

Claus Riepe Junior Member

You want a Raid boat.

What you probably are looking for, is a Raid boat. They row as well as they sail.
    One good example for a small size raidboat is 'Le Seil' by Francois Vivier. We have just recently seen one in the Netherlands with 2 sliding seats fitted.
    Then another boat from the Netherlands, 'Alife', has waterballast and can be fitted with sliding seat(s).
    Excellent rowing also in 'Little Nell' or 'Silent Nell', designed by Arend Lambrechtsen.
    The biggest raidboats I know are the Swallowboats Raiders, 20' BayRaider and 22' SeaRaider, for coastal and open sea expeditions.

For a boat to be really good at rowing, it must be slim and lightweight. For a boat to sail well, it needs stability. Difficult to combine the two. Best solution I know to be really working in practice is waterballast.

C.

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Even raid boats are compromises - some have the emphasis on sailing, others on rowing.

But the examples you give on raidboats are indeed good compromises.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.