How to design a boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Washburn, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Washburn

Washburn New Member

Hello.
    I am an engineering student finishing up my degree in a few months and have a design project to do. The program I take covers allot of the science involved with ships but not the actual ship design process.

I have decided to start designing a 65' steel boat that will have 12 passengers in 6 cabins, and work off of the coast of western Canada.

Is there a book or books I should look to on small craft design? I am floundering around now in Maxsurf trying to figure it out. Should I have weights and centers done before the hull? What steps go next?

I have many more questions like this and am hoping to find some self teaching books about this :confused: . If there is a thread about this already...oops, I did not see it, could someone point it out to me.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Washburn.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Boating experience is one of the most important things. All the theory has no context if you don't operate boats. Try out a few boats of the kind you are talking about, and it will answer most questions.

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Cyril Hamlin's book is one very good one. Fishing World News publishes a comprehensive book on fishing vessel design. If you can find Marine Technology back issues, look at the article by Haggemann et al on designing the Seattle fireboat, and an article in the 80's on small pax vessel design. However note that pax vessel design is heavily influenced by regulations, which differ between Canada and the US. You shold probably also speak to people at Transport Canada.

However, the first step is determining requirements, then basic parameters, then weight, usually with a loop to make sure that the weight is enough for the basic parameters. Then do arrangements, and much later hull shape.

4. lunasea

lunasea New Member

hello to all,can any one help me get hold of a plan to build a canoe about 12-16feet long.many thanks,lunasea

5. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Intended usage

In my opinion the first thing you need to define is what you want to use the boat for. Are we going fishing? whalewatching? parasailing? What's the range? How fast do we want to go? Answer as many questions as you can think of about the purpose of the boat. Then go out and find some vessels that attempt to fill these needs and use that as a starting point for your own design.

djs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.