Rig parts and opinions

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bntii, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Bntii,

The first string looks like a manufacturers stamp, or a quality control stamp. If I had to guess, and that's all this is, I would say it is a control number from RMI which is another titanium manufacturer, along with a quality control stamp.

The second string...
    It looks like it is stamped grade 6 titanium, which is a mixture of 5% aluminium, and 2.5% tin. But I haven't seen that series of numbers before. Since Grade 6 is typically used in Airframes and jet engines it seems to hold water coming from a navy research lab. But I wouldn't bet on it.

The GR6 part is what's making me thing it is Grade 6, since it is typical to write grades as GR#, or Gr#, and the AL5 is correct for aluminium content, but the rest of the string I can't trace.

honestly though I am not sure of either of these guesses. Without some reference to what they might be, I wouldn't bet on my guesses being correct.

2. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

From the stamp info you provided my guess is that it's 6AL4V, which is pretty common Ti, and the H295477 may be the Heat# from the mill.
    http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MTP641

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Good catch Sean. I kept looking at the GR as grade, but I think you are right. If so, this would also be called Grade 5, which is the highest strength regularly used alloy.

We use it primarily on re-engineered products, where it's strength can really be taken advantage of.

For a lot of our products we generally just replace 316/316L with CP2 since they are similar in tensile and yeild strength to stainless. For instance...

The yeild strength of the alloys is as follows.
    316 - 38,800psi
    CP2 - 39,000psi
    Gr5 - 128,000psi

See http://www.alliedtitanium.com/technical/strength/Strengths_of_Metals.pdf for more numbers and alloys.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.