Proof of Concept

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by kvsgkvng, Jan 12, 2012.

1. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Hello everybody.

I would like to ask for an opinion about this proof of concept design. The idea is to build a lightweight segmented boat and be able to store it in the regular built-in closet of any apartment. It would require minimal assembly time and one person would be able to hangle all sections.

Materials would be foam/glass/wood trimmings. The structural connections are not yet finalized but would be someting like through the bulkhead bolts with compressed rubberized waterproofing.

For starters it would use some sort of mechanical propulsion -- either small outboard gasoline engine or electric pusher with batteries or generator. Later on I would want to fit a sail rig on and a centerboard it.

The wooden dummy, closet and the boat model are all in 3/4" = 1'-0" scale. The attached ZIP file has photos, FBM model file and design screen capture.
    I would appreciate if someone would let me know which online photo hosting service is the best because the picture size cache here is pretty limited.

If I made any gross mistakes I would be most appreciative for letting me know about. Any and all help is appreciated. If this idea doesn't fly then it isn't worth building it. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

It's called I think a klepper kayak. Comes apart and rolls up into a bag and can live in you closet or travel on airliner. Around for over 50 years. Bolger has done some boats similar to what you show look them up.

3. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I need to know where you are and who you are before spending energy to assist you.

6. hoytedow

Good call. I didn't even notice. :eek:

7. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

I have been polite...

Thank you "hoytedow," "eyschulman" and "thedutchtouch" for your quick replies. The "Nestaway Boats" was very interesting and it does reinforced me in the idea that this concept is feasible.

I am familiar with Klepper, Folboat, Sigma and other folding skin-on-the-frame boats and must say that they are a pain while waiting for it to dry and then fold. They work fine if somebody plans to use them for extended periods of time and then would fold it at the end of a happy trip. It absolutely "no-no" for me on a daily (weekend) use. The time to unfold, asseble then have a good times during two hours left and after that to dry and then to fold it is just unacceptable.

For "rasorinc" -- I was born on the shores of Zambezi river in South-East Africa and now I reside in one of the European Union communities. If you are interested in my other personal data, please contact me off the list.

As the progress with this boat goes on, I might post bits and pieces here if no other inquiries regarding my personal life, habits, preferences, etc. etc. would through me off.

With respect, thank you all.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Anonymity notwithstanding, its a great idea.

And in the end, the two bigger halves can be your coffin as well !

A true lifetime product.

9. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Thanks

10. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Hard to tell in the photos, but the bow and the stern sections must fit inside the the mid section or you will need a truck/van (not car top) to get to the lake. Don't forget to think about an easy way to install/remove some seats.

11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Kvsgkvng, my humble opinion:
    I think that it will be fundamental to keep the weight of the boat to minimum (one person has to be able to handle it and put it on the car top) and to device a simple, fast and idiot-proof way of joining the hull modules together.
    Nice ideas, both yours and others shown in this thread.

12. hoytedow

You are welcome.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. barrow_matt

barrow_matt Junior Member

That is key to the concept IMO, having a boat that splits into sections is fine but unless they can nest inside each other for storage/transportation you are only solving half the problem.

14. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

progress

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your replies and criticism. I am ready for more! Here I present a concept boat, which could be disassembled in four parts and stored in a small package in a garage.

The work is still in progress and this boat may not be to the liking of many people. However, enduring, I would like to hear some sound advice for a hull basics.

The purpose of this boat is to cruise rivers, lakes, occasional coastal waters and get back into protected water. Long time cruising is the target of this design. Then it could be stored in a garage for the next season.

I am not finished yet and the keel-ruder system is not yet finalized. I am considering either two leeboards or two dagger board at bases of each mast. Any suggestion is very welcome.

The hull speed is around 6 knots and I tried to tailor those coefficients to this number. Again, the work is in progress – so please would you be gentle and concise in your criticism?

I would be most thankful for any reply —thanks.

Attached Files:

15. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Why did you reject an inflatable kayak, unless you just want the fun of building something? Inflatables have come a long way in durability, looks and speed and would seem to fit most of your requirements with a decrease in make ready/storage time.

Porta

How is the 3 piece any better, it must be dried also and is bulky to be lugged around in sections with attention to parts in assembly/disassembly? Seems like you are trading the same time factor for a different type of storage ritual....

They work fine if somebody plans to use them for extended periods of time and then would fold it at the end of a happy trip. It absolutely "no-no" for me on a daily (weekend) use. The time to unfold, asseble then have a good times during two hours left and after that to dry and then to fold it is just unacceptable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.